Blichmann Quick Carb Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBaron1985

The Beer Baron
Reaction score
Got the blichmann quick carb for Christmas from my wife, sister-in-law and father-in-law. The image you see here was after I fixed a few leaks.

Overall I would highly recommend this product as there's no risk of over carbonating your beer. My first batch that I used on it is a custom-made recipe, a Peanut Butter Porter with Reese's Pieces peanut butter nibs.

My only critique is to not trust any of the oetiker clamps on the set up. One of mine was over crimped and leaking. Made a real mess. The unit comes with 2 hose clamps with wing nuts on them which connect to the pump head. Be very careful when putting these on since the plastic pump head is more fragile than it looks. It's also a potential area for leaks.

The gas saturation side had an oetiker clamp on the left side of the picture that needed to be replaced. The oetiker clamp on the return from the pump was okay but I bought extra clamps just in case. The unit also did not come with the white plastic washers for the 1/4 flare connections for the CO2 lines you will need two of those.

After making a quick trip to the hardware store to get some proper hose clamps everything seems to be running okay.

Would love to hear other people's experience with this tool. Seems once you do some debugging it seems to work quite well!

I think the next batch of beer I will leave the keg in the keezer. The circulation of beer in and out will cause the liquid to increase a few degrees which will change your CO2 pressure to meet your CO2 volume target. I overshot mine by 2 psi, aiming for 2.5 volumes. Will update this thread after its done!
20180414_153530.jpg
20180414_155801.jpg
1523736235032.jpg

I built one, DIY, how long did it take to reach your carb level? Did you start right out at pressure?

About 60 min, started at 15 psi and stayed that way till the beer cleared.

I have to start at 5 lbs and increase a couple pounds every so often, otherwise the keg equalizes in pressure and nothing happens. The first time I did it I started out at 12 lbs, in 10 minutes, I couldn't see the Co2 in the return line any longer, so I let it go for about an hour, the following day there was hardly any carbonation at all.

I have to start at 5 lbs and increase a couple pounds every so often, otherwise the keg equalizes in pressure and nothing happens. The first time I did it I started out at 12 lbs, in 10 minutes, I couldn't see the Co2 in the return line any longer, so I let it go for about an hour, the following day there was hardly any carbonation at all.
I would tend to agree. I did hit the keg again for about 3 minutes at 20 psi. That got the carbonation to where it needs to be for a porter. The chart Blichmann gives you I dont think is very accurate. Either that or the temp increase from circulation really throws off the numbers, or their suggestion of 1-2 psi should be more like 4-5 psi

Back