Blichmann Pressure Relief Piston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingGunner

Reaction score
I setup my 14.5 gallon Blichmann and followed the instructions. About 7 gallons of wort added and the yeast was pitched. I tightened down the lid but there is no airlock activity after two days. It is fermenting. I can smell it and I took a peak. Any tricks out there to get this thing to seal?:confused:

When I had mine it was usually not the piston that was leaking, it was usually the seal around the body... I found that if the band clamp was too loose it wouldn't seal, and if I overtightened it would not seal well either. If you do think its the pressure relief then put a good bit of keg lube on the oring and see what happens.

When I had mine it was usually not the piston that was leaking, it was usually the seal around the body... I found that if the band clamp was too loose it wouldn't seal, and if I overtightened it would not seal well either. If you do think its the pressure relief then put a good bit of keg lube on the oring and see what happens.

I did both. If I put an airlock in the hole for the piston, I start to get Air Lock activity. So the corny lid is sealing.

At this point I think you need to contact the manufacturer, sounds like it might be a defect of the piston or the corny lid.

Maybe you have bad o-rings on the piston. Spray some foamy StarSan to check for leaks.

Blichmann sells replacement o-ring kits if you need replacements...

Latest posts

Back