Blichmann BrewCommander + Boilermaker (electric) vs. SS Brewtech 1 V eBrewing System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
Trying to decide between 2 systems for my boil kettle. I currently have a stainless 10 gallon pot propane kettle. Nothing fancy. I use an SS Brewtech InfuSsion mash tun, which i love. I recently built a house and had the garage wired to accommodate the brewtech 1 V brewing system (240 V, 30 A outlet). I've seeing many reviews of owners of the brewtech system and there are numerous complaints about ease of use (not very), clarity on how to adjust your system, and lack of support from brewtech when you have questions. I recently started looking at the Blichmann brewcommander and using it in combination with a boilermaker kettle outfitted with everything i would want on there, and the price is negligible. Also, the 15 gallon blichman setup is only $100 more than the brewtech setup and thats with other additions to it.

Does anyone have either system and give a review on either. I've heard some say that their brewtech system works fine, once they figured out how to set it. I've heard others say that you have to constantly recalibrate the system for every homebrew. Haven't heard of any reviews yet about the blichmann system.

The brewcommander is a very capable controller for this usage but don't feel like you have to stay married to the brand for the kettle. The boilermaker is not a very practical BIAB kettle for a couple reasons. The least controversial reason is that the price includes a $75 thermometer that you'll have to remove and plug the hole. I would also argue that you don't really need the expensive sightglass either since almost every other kettle brand has etched calibration markings.

One thing to be aware of is that both solutions you're looking at use very proprietary heating elements and the replacement cost is pretty significant. While the Blich Boilcoil has been around long enough to be pretty sure they will not be discontinued, I wouldn't say the same about the SS. I would personally stick to a solution with a more ubiquitous industry standard element.

No, you don't HAVE to recirculate if you're brewing 5 gallon batches but you will need to stir the mash about every 15 minutes to ensure a cohesive mash temp. If you do decide to go for more of a hands off style system, I can build you something similar to what I personally use as seen here:

Probably the only thing you'd want to leave off is the hard piped flow sightglass because that rather useless bit is expensive in the grand scheme.

Hey Bobby. Regarding your post, i will not be using either system for brew in a bag...yet. I currently have an infussion mash tun from SS Brewtech, and for no reason other than habit, i guess, i'd rather brew with 3 vessel (mash, sparge, kettle) setup. So the 2 systems would be for a boil kettle only.
I like the idea of a) not having to worry about propane or picking up a hot kettle anymore. b) really like the whirlpool port in the blichmann kettles, and would rather have an electric unit keeping a constant 180 while automatically whirlpooling, than trying to fire up the kettle and moniter to make sure my temps get too high, while i'm trying to stir the hops every few minutes in the whirlpool.

I'll definitely take a look at the video, though.

Hey Bobby,
Great video. Thanks for sharing your system. I wish I would have seen this before putting mine together. I’m on a Blichmann 10G w/boilcoil. I’m running and Auberins Cube 2 as the controller. When recircing I’ve been finding my mash temps are all over the place. Is adding the simultaneous whirlpool the trick to better mash temp consistency?

Probably would help but if your bag fills in all the areas among the coil, I dont thik you will get much movement. Thats why im not a fan of that setup even though people are very quick to say you CAN let the bag touch the element. I like having some portion of liquid only at the very bottom.

I’m using your biab false bottom so with that boilcoil I I unfortunately have about 3.5 gal below the bag.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having 3.5 gallons below the bag as long as the mash ratio above the FB is still in the realm of 1qt/lb or looser ESPECIALLY if you're recirculating.

I have the 20 gal Ebiab from SSbt. I love it. There was a trial and error phase for dialing in temps but that was to be expected.

The one bummer is the length of the power cord to the panel. I didn’t know exactly which direction I was going when I installed the 220V outlet so I have an awkward situation of wires.

Haven’t had any issues with their customer service or answering my random questions.

The brewcommander is a very capable controller for this usage but don't feel like you have to stay married to the brand for the kettle. The boilermaker is not a very practical BIAB kettle for a couple reasons. The least controversial reason is that the price includes a $75 thermometer that you'll have to remove and plug the hole. I would also argue that you don't really need the expensive sightglass either since almost every other kettle brand has etched calibration markings.

One thing to be aware of is that both solutions you're looking at use very proprietary heating elements and the replacement cost is pretty significant. While the Blich Boilcoil has been around long enough to be pretty sure they will not be discontinued, I wouldn't say the same about the SS. I would personally stick to a solution with a more ubiquitous industry standard element.

No, you don't HAVE to recirculate if you're brewing 5 gallon batches but you will need to stir the mash about every 15 minutes to ensure a cohesive mash temp. If you do decide to go for more of a hands off style system, I can build you something similar to what I personally use as seen here:

Probably the only thing you'd want to leave off is the hard piped flow sightglass because that rather useless bit is expensive in the grand scheme.

Bobby that system looks awesome. Nice work!

Back