Blichmann Boilermaker G2 Owners...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbrewer1

Reaction score
Just received one today and had a few questions...

1) Will be using for the HLT, is the heat shield necessary for a lower temp usage like this? Would rather not use. Also considered not using the thermometer as I'll probably using a Thermapen to check exact temps.

2) Regarding the dip tube...if I'm using a gravity setup, I'm guessing a certain amount of water won't be flowing out once it drops below the drip tube. Anyone know roughly how much this is?

3) Any other watch outs, best practices, etc. would be appreciated! Cheers.

Just received one today and had a few questions...
2) Regarding the dip tube...if I'm using a gravity setup, I'm guessing a certain amount of water won't be flowing out once it drops below the drip tube. Anyone know roughly how much this is?

It should siphon out until the water level gets below the inlet on the dip tube. On my G1 there isn't much liquid left at all by the time it stops flowing.

Ditto what xipetotec said on the dip tube. The siphon will pull it down to nearly the bottom.

On the heat shield, it is there to keep the contents of the sight glass from boiling and the handles of the valve from getting melted. It's just there to prevent heat wash from your burners. If your burner flames aren't licking up the side of the kettle causing issues, then you don't need it.

One thing to watch out for... .don't use scrubby pads to clean the outside of the kettle or you will lose the luster.

- fwiw, the dip tubes on my G1 kettles (10g and 20g) leave between one and two cups of liquid behind.

- The heat shield is invaluable for preserving the vinyl valve handle cover, thermometer and sight gauge, in the face of spill-over heat.

- Not sure how much "luster" there is in the G2. It's a "brushed" finish, unlike the classic Blichmann kettles...

Cheers!

-

- The heat shield is invaluable for preserving the vinyl valve handle cover, thermometer and site gauge, in the face of spill-over heat.

Cheers!

I read somewhere that folks are pulling the vinyl handle off and replacing it with a piece of silicone.

1) Use the heat shield. It helps keep the sight glass from boiling, protects the seal on the Brewmometer (apparently they will fog if the seal fails), etc. I've never found it to be inconvenient in any way, shape, or form and have always been confused why many won't use it.

2) I have a G1 and I have a pretty negligible amount of wort left after draining. You can find out how much by going here: http://blichmannengineering.com/products/boilermaker and clicking on the data tab and referencing the dead space (towards the bottom of the chart) for your kettle size.

[...]I've never found it to be inconvenient in any way, shape, or form and have always been confused why many won't use it.[...]

Agreed - on both counts. Perhaps those same folks simply lost theirs.

The suggestion to replace the vinyl ball valve handle cover with silicone tubing is fine - but doesn't address the boiling sight gauge or over-heated thermometer. Both of which - along with the handle cover - are non-issues if the shield is used...

Cheers!

Anyone follow these instructions on tightening the valve? Know what size nut that is?

"When hand tight, use a wrench on the flats of the valve and a socket and torque wrench on the bulkhead fitting to tighten to 40 ft-lb".

Can I just hand tighten and be good without leaks?

Latest posts

Back