Blichmann Beer Gun Issues/Black Nib on Nozzle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HamiltonBrian

Reaction score
I've been using a beer gun pretty regularly over the past 8 months or so. There seems to be a repeated issue though, that I haven't read about, and I am hoping there's a solution for. The black nib that works as the "on/off" on the nozzle gets loose, then doesn't sit straight in. I've taken to checking it before I start filling but even during a pour it can go crooked and the next thing I know I have an overfilled container or a bunch of beer spraying around the garage until I can unhook the line from the keg.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Is there a fix, other than keeping a supply of beer gun parts?

Thanks in advance...

I haven't had that issue but I've heard of others that have. I keep my co2 shutoff close to me that way if something does happen, god forbid, I can shut it off quickly. Plus at 4-6psi the tubing is easily crimped with my fingers.

So I would just crimp it, shut off the co2, then purge the keg. Proceed to fixing the gun. I also always have my gun sitting in a pitcher of sanitizer until I'm ready to use it. So that gives me a place to direct the flow, instead of spilling it everywhere.

I ended up siliconing mine, but that was because it would fall off.

The last batch I bottled I had the rubber tip fall off in a bottle. I capped the bottle of course and didn't realize it was missing for a few seconds. I thought it would be in the bottom of the pan I bottle over that catches the overflow foam. Like an idiot I didn't pull the co2 line thinking I would have it fixed in a matter of seconds. Long story short, I lost maybe a third of a gallon of brew until I finally pulled the co2 line and the bottle the rubber tip was in was lost as well. I think the problem was I was hitting the bottom and sides of the bottle when filling which caused it to fall off. Now I am careful not to touch the bottle when filling and I know to immediately yank off the co2 line if the tip were to fall off. I agree it could be made to be more secure but I have no idea how.

I had more problems with it coming off when I used star san vs. Iodine.

I think the problem was I was hitting the bottom and sides of the bottle when filling which caused it to fall off.

That occurred to me, as well, but then I question why one can't place the end against the vessel. I'll make a practice of avoiding it in the future, but it certainly seems to be a needless precaution.

Are there any stats to "lifespan" of these small beer gun parts? This is my second nib. The first was lost in some unfortunate accident early on in my use of the gun.

Back