Blichman Dip Tube Vapor Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryush806

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My dad I just upgraded to a 10 gal Blichman with the false bottom to act as our MLT. It has a dip tube that starts above the false bottom and goes underneath the false bottom to make sure only minimal wort is left over. The problem we've been having is getting a vapor lock in the "upper bend" of the dip tube that is very dificult to break. We use a marsh pump to recirculate while mashing so that obviously doesn't prime easily with the vapor lock. Also, even draining the MLT to the boil kettle by gravity is a problem with the vapor lock sometimes. Has anybody else experienced this and found a solution to the problem? I saw some posts about a vent on the suction side of the pump but I don't think that would help since it would have to be lower than the top of the dip tube and therefore the vapor lock would still exist. Thanks for any help!

I have had a similar problem occasionally draining my MLT - sometimes I get an air blockage - not completely blocked, but only a trickle comes out (this is not a stuck sparge, as I can reproduce it with only water in the tun). I can clear this by allowing some liquid to accumulate in the output tube, then lift the end of the tube up above the liquid level in the MLT so that the liquid in the tube flows back into the MLT - then I lower the tube and it begins draining as it should.

Back flow water to purge the air out the dip tube through the MLT, then reverse flow. It would only take a little bit, not more than a pint of water. Once a hydraulic lock is formed, the air can't get in unless it is sucking it though a leak somehow.

I have a kettle/MLT similar to a Blichmann and I adapted the BLichmann false bottom to it. I am using a brass 1/2 pipe to 1/2 hose barb 90 degree that dips down to about 1/8 from the bottom of the kettle. S far anything I have drained from it drains just fine. Mine is much lower to the bottom than the Blichmann dip tubes are though.

I have had a similar problem occasionally draining my MLT - sometimes I get an air blockage - not completely blocked, but only a trickle comes out (this is not a stuck sparge, as I can reproduce it with only water in the tun). I can clear this by allowing some liquid to accumulate in the output tube, then lift the end of the tube up above the liquid level in the MLT so that the liquid in the tube flows back into the MLT - then I lower the tube and it begins draining as it should.

Awesome! I think that technique can work with our system. We'll have a little bit of liquid left in the tubing after doing it but I imagine we can close the valve on the pot and drain that into a pitcher and dump it back in. Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back