Blichman burner possible problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
I have had this burner for about 5 months and havnt really thought about it but I've read other post on how efficient and fast it gets wort to a boil but I'm not seeing that...takes me about 20 minutes to get sparge water from 70 degrees to 155, 70 degrees to boil takes about 40 minutes (7.5 gallon boil) and I'm lucky if I can get 2-3 brew days out of it...any ideas ? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392520316.548879.jpg here is a pic of my flame and I use a keggle , liquid propane

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How much water for sparging? How much for 70->Boil? That's a big variable.

What do you mean "lucky if I can get 2-3 brew days out of it"?

5 gallons usually for sparge water

7.5 gallons for a boil

Lucky to get 2-3 brew days means I'm lucky to get three total 7.5 gallon boils plus heating sparge water

Yes from one tank of propane

Just looking at the image it doesn't seem like you have a very large flame going. have you tried to adjust the air intake disk? I usually have my disk all the way open and turn the gas up pretty high. I get much larger flames than what I'm seeing in your picture. You have to play with the amount of propane your feeding vs. the amount of oxygen you're allowing through the disk.
Hope this helps.

It's because the bottom of the keggle sits so far off the flame. I can heat 8 gallons of wort in my blichmann boilermaker a heck of a lot faster than my keggle, make sense?

Latest posts

Back