Blended Ciders Go Dark in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraizter

Reaction score
So here is the background -

I made two ciders with two pounds of sugar - one mostly white with some raw and the other all white sugar. Then after a month or so of primary I racked them onto oak chips. After 10 days or so on oak, I racked into a tertiary fermentation. Overall, both these ciders fermented/aged in carboys for 112 days. The end product was clear and although slightly bitter, it was very good for 9%ABV.

Starting gravity 1.065
Final gravity 0.960

Both ciders were kept under the same conditions to see how some raw sugar effects taste when compared to only white sugar.

When it was time to bottle, I realized I did not have enough bottles for two full batches. I bottled half of each batch with priming sugar. The other half of each batch was blended into a keg and carbed up to 14psi.

I cracked the keg open a day later just to make sure everything was still going smoothly and everything seemed fine. Carbonation levels were low but there was no sign of infection and the ciders were still clear.

One day later, I poured a drink for my SO and it came out almost muddy-like. The liquid coming out would go from almost like chocolate milk to clearish and into a sooty-like color. The flavor was fine and it didn't have any vinegar taste.

So I guess my question is what could have caused this darkening?

Since it fermented so long and no sugar was added since day 1 - it shouldn't be lees (didn't have the same cloudy look either).

Could it be the oak settling out after being pressurized?

I did shake the keg a bit a minute before pouring the muddy colored glass. (In hopes of absorbing a bit more CO2.)

The image in mason jars is pre blending/individual ciders straight out of the carboy into the fridge. The image in the plastic cup is what came out of the keg only 3 days after kegging the blended ciders.

-kraizter

Attachments

• 20180412_172149.jpg
    20180412_172149.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • 20180412_171622.jpg
    20180412_171622.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78
Oxidation is the cause of darkening.

(I think your FG is .996, not .960 by the way!)

Thank you Yooper for a quick response!

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

Okay, so I should reseal the keg?

Last time the keg didn't seal correctly it spoiled into cider vinegar. I'm not noticing the CO2 tank depleting over time either - hopefully indicating no leak in the system.

Could it just be oxidation from pouring the cider into the keg through a funnel?

Oxidation doesn't happen in a day. And it tastes like wet cardboard. Seems like contamination of some sort. What happens if you let a glass sit overnight?

Could it just be oxidation from pouring the cider into the keg through a funnel?

Yep! That's a quick way to oxidize it for sure. It should always be protected from oxygen/air, and siphoned very gently with no splashing to protect it. Sulfites are often added by wine and cider makers to help prevent oxidation.

Oxidation doesn't happen in a day. And it tastes like wet cardboard. Seems like contamination of some sort. What happens if you let a glass sit overnight?

Oxidation presents much earlier than "wet cardboard" flavor comes into it. The first sign is a darkening of the cider or wine, and then a "less fresh" flavor. After that, it will start to "madierize", develop a sherry-like flavor in white wines and ciders. It almost has a brandy-like flavor as it worsens. I've never had a cider or wine so oxidized that it tasted of wet cardboard, and only ones in a very badly oxidized beer I judged in competition.

Oxidation presents much earlier than "wet cardboard" flavor comes into it. The first sign is a darkening of the cider or wine, and then a "less fresh" flavor. After that, it will start to "madierize", develop a sherry-like flavor in white wines and ciders. It almost has a brandy-like flavor as it worsens. I've never had a cider or wine so oxidized that it tasted of wet cardboard, and only ones in a very badly oxidized beer I judged in competition.

OK, thanks for that. But is it possible to show signs of oxidation (discoloring or whatever) in just a few days?

OK, thanks for that. But is it possible to show signs of oxidation (discoloring or whatever) in just a few days?

Sometimes. A very light wine or cider may indeed darken soon, but the oxidation could have happened earlier, like during secondary, or even at the end of primary.

I also wonder if you splash it into the keg and fill it half way. Will all that oxygen be forced into the cider when you pressurized the keg. Burping a half full keg of all that oxygen takes a lot of CO2.

You stated that you "oaked" it and shook it. What you did was rouse all the crap that settled out.

Let it sit acouple of days...WITHOUT MOVING IT...and it will be clear again.

If you must move it then do it now then don't move it again, just tap it in place. :yes:

Back