Blanche Oreiller - Variations on a Theme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerMikey

Reaction score
Hi all

Did my first Wit inspired by Jamil's Blanche Oreiller minus the Munich and Chamomile. So I suppose this doesn't count as a clone. I decided not to use the Munich, just didn't seem a fit for a traditional Wit. Maybe I will give the Munich a shot another time.

After 9 days in the Primary using Safale WB-06 the gravity came down from 1.050 to 1.008, so looks like I could bottle this pretty soon. Anyone think this Wit still needs more time in the Primary or a week in a secondary? (I am not going for a clear beer).
I didn't add orange peel to the boil this time, so was thinking I would put it in the Primary for a few days before bottling. Any thoughts on this?
Attenuation seems to be around 80-85% and my efficiency is above 70% so for only 3 batches under my belt so I am very happy.

Here are the details for my 20 L batch from Beer Smith:
1.97 kg 42.8% Pilsner (2 Row) Belgian
1.67 kg 36.3% Wheat, Raw
0.73 kg 15.9% White Wheat Malt, Belgian
0.23 kg 5% Oats, Flaked
14.00 g Hallertauer [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 10.4 IBUs
14.00 g Styrian Goldings [4.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.4 IBUs
8 g. Coriander Seed (Boil 0.0 mins) -
1.0 pkg SafBrew WB-06
Because of the Raw Wheat I did a 30 minute rest at 123F (50.5C), then 75 minutes at 154(68C), then recirculate and mash out at 170F (77C). I did batch sparging and recirculated 3x with each infusion of sparge water. The guys a BeerSmith hammer home the need to recirculate when spaging so I practice that religiously. I got my pre-boil volume perfect and OG was 1.050. Using a Copper Immersion chiller I got the wort down to 66F and pitched the WB-06. Now 9 days after pitching yeast I am sitting at 1.008.
What do you guys think of my technique?

Back