Blah beer- can I add in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey4q2pal

Reaction score
My attempt to use local hops left me with a bland beer in the keg. Can I add an oz or 2 in a tea strainerball to maybe up the taste? I have a bunch of good ol Cascade and 1oz of centennial pellets sitting around.

I've only done it once (under bittered), but I added about 1.5oz to my big french press, topped with boiling water and let it steep until cool. Poured into the keg, gave it a shake and let it carb for a few days. Much improved.

I used a tea ball that was two half sphere stainless meshes hinged together. Guess the rivet holding the latch was not stainless because it was gone when I cleaned the out. Never used it again because I was worried about the hinge. Used another one that was kind of egg shaped and screwed together, it also had much bigger holes. When I opened it up to clean it out it was dry and still had pellets in the middle. Hope you have better luck.

My attempt to use local hops left me with a bland beer in the keg. Can I add an oz or 2 in a tea strainerball to maybe up the taste? I have a bunch of good ol Cascade and 1oz of centennial pellets sitting around.
I have heard people use a "hop shot" in cases like this.

Put the hops into a fine mesh nylon or polyester bag and tie it shut. The beer will saturate the bag of hops and add a good aroma to your beer. Since aroma is the biggest part of taste your beer will benefit. This is (or was) how Mac and Jacks brewery in Washington did it for their kegs of pale ales.

I’ve got 4oz willamette cone and 4oz cascade cone freeze dried as well.. what does everyone suggest? Should I just bomb it w cone hops?

Use those Centennial pellets plus some more if you can grab some. Cones absorb a lot of beer but do what you think is best.

Back