Blackjack Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first design and am looking for some input on the list. I have only brewed a few different beers from recipes so this is uncharted territory for me. I am looking for a full flavored stout without being super bitter.

10lbs Dark DME
1lb 4oz Chocolate Malt
1lbs Crystal 120
1lbs Roasted Barley
8oz Special B
8oz Carapils
6oz Patent
2.5oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1.5oz Northern Brewer 30min
1oz Fuggles 10min

Wyest ale
Steep 30mins
est OG 1.091
est fg 1.023
est ABV 9.1

This is my first design and am looking for some input on the list. I have only brewed a few different beers from recipes so this is uncharted territory for me. I am looking for a full flavored stout without being super bitter.

10lbs Dark DME
1lb 4oz Chocolate Malt
1lbs Crystal 120
1lbs Roasted Barley
8oz Special B
8oz Carapils
6oz Patent
2.5oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1.5oz Northern Brewer 30min
1oz Fuggles 10min

Wyest ale
Steep 30mins
est OG 1.091
est fg 1.023
est ABV 9.1

it's counter productive to use dark dme with
1lb 4oz Chocolate Malt
1lbs Crystal 120
1lbs Roasted Barley
8oz Special B
6oz Patent
you have over 4 lbs of specialty grains, use light/extra-light extract.

So if I use light DME is that going to change anything as far as ABV or is it just doubling up on color that is counter productive?

it will probably up the ABV because its more fermentable pound for pound. the darker extracts already have the specialty grains your adding but in unknown quantities.

so, yes you're doubling up on colour, but also unfermentables.
the reciple as-is has a Metric Crap Ton of unfermentables already and I think the target of 1.023 is unrealistic. I'd expect 1.030ish.

what do you think about the recipe itself? Is it too much grains to few hops? I looked at a number of different stout recipes and came up with this one.

I'd do one of these two:

switch to light extract,

or keep the dark extract and ditch the 120 & roasted barley.

I'd ditch the carapils in any case. A bit too much caramal/crystals for a stout imho. IIRC the dark portion of the dark dme/lme is some form of crystal malt. Perhaps switching to light and also cutting back some of your crystal editions might be smartest...or you might end up with a nice porter!

I will cut 8oz of crystal out on your suggestion and the carapils I was told helps with head retention which I am missing in my current porter and thought it might be a good addition to the stout as I like head....on my beer.

From what I've been told carapils won't do anything for an extract brew. It needs to be mashed to get any head retention. Save your money.

Back