blackberry wine matureing time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
hi,
i made some blackberry wine last november. i had my first glass the other day and it was pretty horrible. very alcoholly, and very muddy tasting.
i couldnt drink it, but left the bottle in the fridge with the stopper back in and tried it again couple weeks later and it tasted much better.

how long should i leave it all to mature??
and was it just the cooling in the fridge that helped the taste with sediment dropping more and the lower temp that i drank at? or could the air in the bottle helped?

new to making wine and not really a wine drinker so sorry if these are silly questions

thanks

If the taste improved in the fridge then it was probely dropping sedament. This means that youre wine is not done yet and should not be bottled. The yeast is still in suspention, that does not tast so good:). By putting it in the fridge you chilled the yeast and it "went to sleep", dropping out of suspention.
Did you say you have bottled it already? I really hope not! It needs to be cleared still. Possible degassed as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

yes its bottled already :(
it spent about 2 months in fermenting buckets before i bottled it tho.

If you don't want to dump it out and let it clear you will just have to chill each bottle for a weekish before drinking. Not a great soultion but better then tossing them.
If you want suggestions on clearing just ask!
Two months is a very short time for fruit wine, just fyi.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

yeh thats what ive realized now. oh well, lessoned learned for this years lot lol
thank you for your help!

Most recipes call for 6 months to a year in the Carboy, and up to 1.5 years to mature. I have a 6 gal batch that should be ready in the Fall. I tasted it at a year and it is drinkable but still a bit harsh.

Latest posts

Back