Black Sunhsine - My Keezer Build - Lots of Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black beauty... I'm digging it.

a black keezer looks better than a white one IMHO

-=Jason=-

4 on the floor with the 5 pound tank. I can fit 2 on the hump with the 8" collar. Sadly it will be a while before I can afford to add anymore taps.

I was wondering what thermostat temp sensor you have and where to purchase and cost if you could, thank you and congrats on the nice keezer!

Thanks for the fast reply!

Bottled: Brewers Best IPA
Primary: Deciding
Secondary: Brewers Best Holiday Ale

Finally finished the drip tray and tap markers.
DSC02995.jpg

DSC02989.jpg

DSCN2258.jpg

Hey electrichead I like your whole White Zombie theme here your name and your kegerator. When is the La Sexorcisto fermentation chamber going to be built?

Haha, after I can afford to fix my jeep, The Creature of the Wheel.

hey electrichead, i'm doing a very similar build. Thanks for the inspiration!

I was just wondering, have you had any kind of moisture in your electrical boxes or did the silicone hold everything pretty dry?

No moisture in the boxes. I do need to stop being lazy and address the moisture in the freezer itself though.

I got a 4-pack of ball locks that were converted from pin locks (short and stubbys). Could you tell me how many of the short and stubby kegs you can fit in this kenmore? I am trying to decide between the kenmore 8.8 and the frigidaire 7.2. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

I was hoping that was the case. Thanks for your help! If anyone could tell me the interior dimensions of this freezer, that'd be great. I am hoping to get the most out of the freezer but am still considering the Frigidaire 7.2 from Lowes.

Now all we need is a follow up post. HOW DID YOU MAKE THOSE SWEET TAP HANDLES. Than needs to be a sticky.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Remembered to take that pic of the drip tray.
DSC03011.jpg

6 neodymium magnets. 1.25" x 1/8". I recessed them and added spongy rubber pads over them for friction. The little felt pads are OCD overkill. I might add 2 more magnets to the bottom.

Now all we need is a follow up post. HOW DID YOU MAKE THOSE SWEET TAP HANDLES. Than needs to be a sticky.

Rock Chalk

Chris

The tap handles are 1.5" red oak dowels shaped on a hand belt sander mounted in the vice(I desperately need to buy a lathe).

The wraps are various long Turks Head knots. The black is a single strand about 25' long, and the other is 20' light + 10' dark brown. I used paracord. If your are interested in giving it a try, I can direct you to a few great web sites.

Thanks for the pic of the drip tray. I am looking to do something very similar.

Finally finished the drip tray and tap markers.
DSC02995.jpg

DSC02989.jpg

DSCN2258.jpg

Great post, thanks for all the information!!!

I like the tap marker on the top of your keezer behind the taps, what did you use to make it /where did you get it? I also like the idea of the drip tray using and using magnets to attach it to the front. I am going to be using a 19" drip tray myself, what did you use to hold the trip tray?

Thanks!

David

I love this build! Now that it's been a little while, have you had any problems having the electrical stuff inside the keezer?

I love this build! Now that it's been a little while, have you had any problems having the electrical stuff inside the keezer?

None at all. I added damp rid and have yet to see any water in the container. Also, no condensation build up in the boxes. I was checking them once a week but no longer bother.

This is one of the few keezer threads where I see an actual closeup of wiring the TSS2 for controlling just 1 temp. I see how you have the love wired, but I'm confused on how you wired it to the outlet.

I'm trying to figure out which wires are for the outlet, and which one acts as the ground.

EDIT: I answered my own question. The green (red shrink wrap) and the whites go to the 2 screws on the outlet, the blacks splice together, and the green from the line going to the power source goes to the grounding screw.

Very inspiring build, and very helpful pictures, thanks! Does anybody know where to get a grommet like that with a small hole and a long stem? All the rubber ones I've seen are very shallow, so they wouldn't fit in wood 3/4" deep. The deeper ones I've seen are all hard plastic and larger than an inch in diameter -- the kind used for wire management in office desks.

Very nice job. It took a couple of years, but the regulators in my kgrator started to corrode. Since moved them external. CO2 external as well.

Those tap handles are pretty sweet! Any info on those? :mug:

Sorry I missed this question from a while back. I made the tap handles out of a red oak dowel using a belt sander in a vice. I wish I could have turned them on a lathe but that is one piece on machinery I don't have. The wraps are multiple pass Turks Head knots done with paracord.

This is one of the few keezer threads where I see an actual closeup of wiring the TSS2 for controlling just 1 temp. I see how you have the love wired, but I'm confused on how you wired it to the outlet.

I'm trying to figure out which wires are for the outlet, and which one acts as the ground.

EDIT: I answered my own question. The green (red shrink wrap) and the whites go to the 2 screws on the outlet, the blacks splice together, and the green from the line going to the power source goes to the grounding screw.

Sorry I missed this as well, but yes your edit is correct.

Very inspiring build, and very helpful pictures, thanks! Does anybody know where to get a grommet like that with a small hole and a long stem? All the rubber ones I've seen are very shallow, so they wouldn't fit in wood 3/4" deep. The deeper ones I've seen are all hard plastic and larger than an inch in diameter -- the kind used for wire management in office desks.

The grommet was from a vehicle firewall, however, I can't for the life of me remember what kind. You could possibly find something at an auto parts store.

This is my favorite keezer build! I am putting together the parts for a similar build with a black Kenmore 8.8 and using your build for inspiration. I have very limited wood working skills and was wondering what type of saw you used to mitre the 1x8 collar (it is a 1x8 right?)? Also, where did you get the drip tray? I have seen similar ones at Beverage Factory and Keg Connection, but want to see if there is a better solution out there.

The wraps are various long Turks Head knots. The black is a single strand about 25' long, and the other is 20' light + 10' dark brown. I used paracord. If your are interested in giving it a try, I can direct you to a few great web sites.

Could you post those websites, please? I'd like to put some of those on my taps.

Back