Black patent substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackdirt_cowboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was planning on brewing a Founders Breakfast Stout Clone this weekend. I was going through my inventory and realized that I am out of black patent malt. I do, however, have on hand some carafa iii. Would y’all consider this an acceptable substitute?

In a pinch, sure. It won't have the intensity of black patent but it'll have all the color and enough character to get in the ball park...

Cheers!

Brülosophy (standard disclaimer: Brülosophy is far from definitive, but it provides a stronger data point than someone else's anecdotal evidence) did an exbeeriment comparing black patent to roasted barley. They didn't achieve statistical significance in the triangle test, and the anecdotal feedback was that there wasn't a big difference in what the two grains contributed to the beer. I always expected 'ashes' and 'charcoal' from black patent, but the writeup they gave makes one think it's not quite so out there as many brewers believe. Carafa III should end up fairly close, particularly if it's the husked variety and not the dehusked Carafa III Special.

Latest posts

Back