Black mold on day old mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildmeadman

Reaction score
I brewed a pedicularis goldenrod mead last night and pitched Montrachet yeast. This morning the airlock was bubbling but there is this this spot of black mold on the foamy top. This has never happened to me. What should I do?

Here are some pictures

image.jpg

That's a lot of headspace...is there anyway you can rack - carefully-from beneath the foam into a smaller carboy? That looks like you have a 5g batch in a 6.5gal carboy...if you're worried about energetic ferments, try it in a bucket with a cloth over the top. Easier to maintain during active ferments and the CO2 will build a protective layer over the top, even in an open topped bucket(the towel is to keep pet hair, fruitflies, random dust, etc from your mead).

This is a primary, headspace is not an issue right now. I dont think you got mold so fast, its probably something from the honey like pollen or bits of old wax. Keep giving your carboy a good swirling a couple of times a day to keep it mixed up. I have tasted goldenrod honey, its so good, I hope this mead turns out well for you. WVMJ

Are you sure that is mold? I have never heard of Pedicularis but apparently it is some type of weed. Your must looks very dark so I am wondering if it might have just colored some of the bubbles in the krausen. One of mine did that.

Are you sure that is mold? I have never heard of Pedicularis but apparently it is some type of weed. Your must looks very dark so I am wondering if it might have just colored some of the bubbles in the krausen. One of mine did that.

that was my thoughts as well. a good raw honey will have particles of stuff in it from the hive that could have been carried to the top by the foam. it could just be particles of something inert. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back