Black Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith6292

Reaction score
I have a question about black malt. I was going to attempt to make a stout. the recipe called for Black Barley, but I only have Black Malt. I do not know anything about black malt and I was wondering if I could use it as a substitute for the black barley?

Thanks,

So the English Black Malt ( Black Patent ), which I've used and like quite a lot, is a different beast. It only adds colour and will not turn the foam dark on the beer. It can add deep roasty notes notes. Roasted Barley is unmalted and adds the well-known bitter/coffee notes and will darken the foam of the beer.

You can read more here: http://beerandwinejournal.com/ris-dark-grains/

I have a question about black malt. I was going to attempt to make a stout. the recipe called for Black Barley, but I only have Black Malt. I do not know anything about black malt and I was wondering if I could use it as a substitute for the black barley?

Thanks,

I think it will be different, used in the quantities a stout will have. But still probably good. I make a porter that's 5% black malt, and have gone as high as 6% and it's not too much.

I prefer black patent over roasted/black barley. Similar roasted flavors and color but with patent you get lest bitterness and astringency

Black malt is what they first used historically after moving away from diastic brown malt. I’ve used it and it can be quite bitter/dry.

I’d try either cold steeping, or adding to mash at vorlauf for less astringency.

My shops tend to have Briess malts. Briess sells a "Roasted Barley" that is in the 350L range and a "Black Roasted Barley" that is in the 500L range. I think I have always used the 350L one, but I have to suspect the 500L version has very similar qualities to Black Malt which is also 500L.

You might want to read this— http://beerandwinejournal.com/ris-dark-grains/
There is a big difference between the two and it depends on what style of stout you intend to brew. A dry Irish stout (Guinness) would be best using 500 °L black (roasted) barley to achieve the roasted coffee flavor and aroma as well as the light cream colored head.
Slainte
Edit: Sorry, I didn’t realize I posted the same link as @thehaze (it is a good article)

Last edited:
Back