Black Malt vs Roasted Barley vs Black Roasted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am planning on making the Dry Stout recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. This recipe calls for 1 lb. of Black Roasted Barley [500 L] but my Local Home Brew Store only had Roasted Barley [300 L] and Black Malt [500 L].

Please help me with your thoughts on which I should use.

Thanks in advance!

MT

1.5 lb roasted barley (300L) would do in a pinch. Reduce base malt by .5 lb to keep O.G. the same (assuming all-grain version). If Extract/steeping grains, leave other ingredients as-is.

Thanks! I am using the extract/steeping grains recipe...

so instead of 1 lb of Dark Roasted Barley, I should use 1.5 lb of Roasted Barley?

If I may ask... what does the additional 0.5 lb of grain do for me?

It will maintain the color and, hopefully, replicate the dryness that you would've gotten from a pound of black barley. It will also increase your O.G. by a couple points. They're both very similar in that both are unmalted and frequently used in stouts. During the roasting process, they start out the same, but roasted barley is stopped at 300L and black barley is roasted longer to 500L.

Reviving this thread....I just ran into this and assumed Weyerman's Roasted barley was essentially the black roasted barley called for in the recipe. Color is looking a little light with it at just shy of 10% of the grain bill.

Yeah, I think the Brewing Classic Styles is designed for using continental malsters for those beers. Like Bairds or Thomas Fawcett are 500L whereas the local homebrew shop originally sited here was probably Briess, which roasts their malts to different colors. Whenever possible, for these styles I like to get those more authentic malts, just so there's no question as to the color I'm using.

And you definitely don't want to use Black Malt for a dry stout. It'll be the wrong flavor. Black malt is typically used in porters.

Latest posts

Back