Black Malt trick for reducing chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was reading in Papazian's Homebrewer's Companion and ran across an interesting tip. He states the following.

Here’s a little gem that will help reduce chill haze and reduce some harshness: Add about 1 ounce (28 g.) of finely crushed black malt to your light beers at the end of the mash.

He then expands on the point with a little narrative.

The addition will not affect color significantly but will adsorb some of the polyphenols, tannins and long-chained proteins that cause chill haze and astringent character in beers. Some of the largest brewing companies in the United States use this method for some of the lightest of their beers. You may have already noticed that chill haze is less of a problem—even nonexistent—in dark beers. Aha.

Has anyone tried this? I wish it provided a few more specifics. Precisely what is meant by "at the end of the mash" and how fine a crush is needed. Can I just send black malt through my mill a few times or should I get a coffee grinder?

I noticed on a clone recipe I have that it calls for a small amount of black malt flour to be added to the boil, late....if you don't have flour, add the crushed grain to the mash....now I guess I know why that little bit is in there!!!

I just read that exact passage and i posted the same exact question. I want to try it on an APA I am brewing but dont know when to add the black patent. Maybe at the end of sparging.

Back