Black Juniper IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keislir

Reaction score
I recently fell in love with the aroma of a Juniper IPA that I had at the Blackrocks Brewing Co. in Marquette, MI. I want to recreate the juniper aroma along with some "piney" hints (chinook or simcoe from what I've been seeing). I also want to add a light smokey flavor and add a deeper color.

For 5gal I plan on using:
7lbs of a light LME
1lb of crystal malt
a toasted malt and some sort of black roast (partial mash)

I'm aiming for an OG between 1.06-1.065 and for the upper 70's for my IBU's

Hops would include:
Chinook@60min
Magnum@45
Cascade@30 and 15 min
Simcoe (last 5min and dry hop)

Including juniper berries in the secondary

WLP001

I dont know exact quantities quite yet being a beginner. It's very early in the recipe stage and any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also apologize for my noob terminology!!!

I don't have any advice but man do I want to try adding juniper berries to a black IPA.

I'll keep an eye out for it! I've heard its easy to go overkill on the juniper berries so I'm still undecided on how many oz. I want to add. Maybe the juniper will hide behind the darker body though. I just bought everything yesterday, hopefully it's in the primary by the end of the month!

Final Recipe

6lbs Dark LME
1lb Light DME
1lb Crystal 60
.5lb Toasted
2oz Smoked

1oz Chinook @ 60
1oz Crystal @ 40
1oz Crystal @ 30
.5oz Simcoe @ 20
.5oz Simcoe @ 10
.5oz Juniper Berries @ 10
.5oz Simcoe @ Flame off
.5oz Simcoe @ Transfer to secondary

West Coast Ale yeast

With a little help from the guy at the brewshop this is what resulted. Hope it works!

I would treat it like food and just play around with it. When testing your gravity, take some samples of it and try it. I would start off with a real small amount like you've indicated and just add more if needed. It will be an interesting beer to say the least. I'm thinking of trying the new Stone R&R coconut IPA myself. Cheers!

Back