Black IPA hop combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staylow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm brewing a black IPA for someone. Theyre looking for more herbal/floral/earthy/spicy flavors as opposed to citrus or fruit, which is something I've never really done before. Let me know your thoughts on this.

5.5 gal batch
1.069 SG
1.014 FG
76 IBU

86% 2 row
6% midnight wheat
6% carahell
2% roasted barley

Mash 150F for 60

1 oz Nugget 60 min
1 hopshot 60 min
1 oz each EKG, Nugget, Mandarina Bavaria at 5 minutes
2 oz Mandarina Bavaria 20 min whirlpool
1 oz each EKG, Nugget 20 min whirlpool

Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite

2 oz each Mandarina, Crystal dry hop
1 oz EKG dry hop

Mandarina Bavaria is tangerine/citrus, so skip that maybe?

I don't know if you brewed Black IPAs before, or how you like your Black IPAs or how your friend likes them, but they tend to " swallow " a lot of hops, at least for my taste. I usually go around 10 oz late boil additions + whirlpool and some 7-8 oz for dry hopping.

" for more herbal/floral/earthy/spicy flavors " I would probably go with something like Columbus, Chinook, Ella, Topaz, etc.

Im working with what I have on hand, and what I know. I've used Mandarina Bavaria before, and the tangerine/citrus character is over hyped. I got a lot of herbal qualities from it myself, with just a hint of that citrus. I do have some Sterling that I may use in place of the EKG to bump up the spicy aspect.

I have brewed a couple black IPA's in the past, but used mostly fruity/citrusy hops. The reason they get swallowed in that style is because people use too much roasted malts, and end up essentially brewing a super hopped stout, rather than a black IPA. Don't get me wrong, I think the style should have just a little roast character, but it really needs to be restrained. I also think that if you completely bury the roast character, whats the point? Just to make it black? Seems like a waste of time and roasted malt, to me. There's definitely a balance to be had.

Mandarina may get burried

Cascade works wonderfully in a black, although there is the citrus compionent you mentioned you wanted to avoid. Chinook is a great choice. Comet will really set it off.

My thoughts are to use Ahtanum, Chinook and Mosiac

Mandarina may get burried

Cascade works wonderfully in a black, although there is the citrus compionent you mentioned you wanted to avoid. Chinook is a great choice. Comet will really set it off.

My thoughts are to use Ahtanum, Chinook and Mosiac

Cascade, chinook and comet are great! Northern Brewer needs some love also. No better piney hop available imo.

I have Mosaic on hand, but I feel like that one is way off base. Mosaic is always super fruity and floral for me.

Hops I have on hand that fit the bill: Nugget, Mandarina, EKG, Sterling, Crystal, Mittelfrueh, Tettnang, Liberty, Glacier and perhaps Centennial.

My BIPA just made it to the final round of national homebrew comp. I used Simcoe and Cascade for for flavor and aroma. The pine compliments the dark malts really well for this style imo.

I have Mosaic on hand, but I feel like that one is way off base. Mosaic is always super fruity and floral for me.

Hops I have on hand that fit the bill: Nugget, Mandarina, EKG, Sterling, Crystal, Mittelfrueh, Tettnang, Liberty, Glacier and perhaps Centennial.

nugget, tettnang and sterling would be my votes for this. maybe EKG as well...

dry hopping i would vote centennial and tettnang.. nice ying/yang of flavors

try throwing in 5% wheat or 5% rye on this ... ive done similar recipes and the wheat added lots of body and mouth feel and then with the rye addition on another recipe it added a nice "bite" if you could call it that.

Back