Black Cherry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch1719

Reaction score
Found this recipe in a book and wanted to try it out, but wanted to get opinions on it first. Think this would turn out good? Thanks!

6 lbs wheat malt extract (I'll probably use two cans of 3.3 lb LME)
1 oz Hallertau or Saaz (4 AAU) - 60 min
1/4 oz Hallertau or Saaz (1 AAU) - 5 min
3 qts black cherry juice - add at the end of the boil when you turn off the heat.
1 pack of yeast
4 1/2 oz corn sugar for bottling

Starting gravity: 1.049 to 1.053
Finished at 1.012 or less

It looks good to me! Did you want a more dominant cherry aroma/flavor? I understand if you want a more subtle flavor then add juice/puree as you are. I just did two one gallon test batches similar to yours but i added 12 oz cherry puree to one and 12 oz blueberry puree to the other in the secondary.

cavemanbrews said:
It looks good to me! Did you want a more dominent cherry aroma/flavor? I understand if you want a more subtle flavor then add juice/puree as you are. I just did two one gallon test batches similar to yours but i added 12 oz cherry puree to one and 12 oz blueberry puree to the other in the secondary.

Are you saying that if I want a more dominant cherry flavor, I should add the juice to the secondary rather than to the wort righty after boiling?

well yes, as far as I know adding any adjunct/flavoring in the boil or at flame out can carry some aroma and flavors over to the finished beer but if you want the most flavor and aroma its best to do it after primary fermentation has stopped. I am not sure on the amounts of juice to add compared to the fruit. just make sure you get pasteurized juice and get a blow off tube ready just in case:rockin:

Latest posts

Back