Black buildup on conical wall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whysomalty

Reaction score
I’m new to brewing in a conical, but recently bought a stainless steel vessel as an upgrade to my glass carboys. I’ve included pictures to show what I found with my first brew. I don’t ever recall this color of buildup on the wall of the glass carboy (black). Also, there was quite a bit of consensation on the lid of the conical. The beer is a brown ale I’m experimenting with using WLP090 - gravity finished right on the money and the beer, although still green, tastes good.

Thoughts?

16B86247-07E5-432F-92E6-2C568C3E309B.jpeg FD6EF566-5891-4944-9428-48F0E861EEFD.jpeg

I think you should clean your fermenter with TSP. I had this exact thing happen on a new conical. I did do a pre clean with TSP, but I concluded my problem was not cleaning it well enough on the first use. The beer I had that left the black ring was still good, so no worries. When I got my second Conical, I saw the same ring on the first brew, although it was much smaller. I cleaned again and never saw it again... The black stuff was on the Krausen line.

Im not sure I was correct in identifying the problem, but I have only seen this on new stainless- From SS Brewtech FWIW.

Thank you for the reply. Is there anything health-wise I need to be concerned about if the beer tastes fine post bottle conditioning? Are these oils poisonous or anything? This is indeed a Ss brewbucket!

I picked up some TSP recently and will break everything down and clean thoroughly.

Back