Black-Blackberry IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendersrule

Reaction score
Yea...Black IPA w/ Blackberry. Why not?

@RPh_Guy

Here's a rough go-ahead. Point is to use bittering hops in my freezer.

https://brewgr.com/recipe/83344/blackberry-black-ipa-recipe?public=true
What would you change? Don't want porter/stout taste in it. Just want a dark color. I bet I'm close....

I have Warrior, Nugget, Simcoe, and El Dorado that I need to use up. Citra is what i'd have to buy, but Citra just kinda makes sense for a dry hop for fruit, so it seems worth buying for that aspect. I still have some Sorachi Ace, but I don't think it would belong here? Point of recipe is to use most of what I have as far as bittering hops.

Last edited:
I would try using El Dorado as a late/dry addition for that light fruitiness. Then MFing lactose!
I'm only half joking.
Black blackberry milkshake IPA?
Call it a Smoothie?
Tree House has Julius.
You have..."The Smoothie"!

Ahhh...good idea. I forgot that adding a lactose addition could be good!

How about .5LB of lactose!

Blackberry Black IPA Milkshake!

1Oz of Warrior for 60 minutes
1Oz of El Dorado for 10 minutes
1Oz of Citra at FO
2Oz of Citra dryhop

As long as you're happy to drink it.
I just figured that makes sense. I'm in New England. I'm exposed to weird IPAs too often.

I made a Raspberry IPA w/ Lactose before, and it was a huge hit. I figure this one would be similar, just want it dark in color. :)

Ahhh...good idea. I forgot that adding a lactose addition could be good!

How about .5LB of lactose!

Blackberry Black IPA Milkshake!

1Oz of Warrior for 60 minutes
1Oz of El Dorado for 10 minutes
1Oz of Citra at FO
2Oz of Citra dryhop

When I first read this , I read 10oz of warrior.....I was like holy crap this dude ain't no joke! Then I read it right lol:D
As far as lactose I was talked into using 1# and it came out good .

Interesting about Midnight Wheat. I added 1LB of that. I heard Carafa III also doesn't have the roastyness either, is that true?

Take a look at it now!

https://brewgr.com/recipe/83344/blackberry-black-ipa-recipe?public=true
Regarding Lactose, I'm always prefering to be on the safe side. I feel Lactose is good just when it enters detection, but doesn't go much more above that. 1/2 lb for 5.5 gallons was too little last time IMO. I'd rather jump small, so I'll stick with 3/4 lb.

The Forbidden fruit series.... fruited black ipas.....

I done a few black ipas and Carafa II and/or chocolate wheat are you friend. Also don’t for get about a middle flavor grain so their is a smooth transition from slight roast and hops. Mind look something like this

70% 2row
15% flaked wheat or malted wheat
7% biscuit malt or c20 or cara Munich
4% chocolate wheat
4% Carafa II

That's pretty close to what I ended up with. Think I may brew it this weekend. So far I'm choosing to go slightly heavier on the biscuit/Munich and a little less wheat. I'd expect still plenty of good body from this grist though?:

67% Pale 2-Row
14% Munich 20L
5% Midnight Wheat
4% Caramel/Crystal 80
6% Lactose
4% Carafa III

OG est: 1.070
FG est: 1.013-1.014

Got the grains today.

The grain container just said "Carafa III". It looked like wheat almost. Is this the non-roasty version/right one to use? I bought it anyways.

Last question: the Midnight Wheat and Carafa III.

Should I grind and add these grains with everything else for the 90 minute mash, or should I add these grains during the last 10-20 minutes of the mash?

I want to impart the least amount of roast possible. I wouldn't be upset if there was a "hint", but if it came out being a hoppy stout/porter, I'd be a sad camper.

Last question: the Midnight Wheat and Carafa III.

Should I grind and add these grains with everything else for the 90 minute mash, or should I add these grains during the last 10-20 minutes of the mash?

I want to impart the least amount of roast possible. I wouldn't be upset if there was a "hint", but if it came out being a hoppy stout/porter, I'd be a sad camper.
why are you mashing 90mins? are you looking for a dry beer? as long as your mash PH is right you are fine. Im against the cold steeping or late addition mashing. There are many who are all about it but I full mash length mine. Your are going to get some roast, with 9% roasted grains. You're using Ch.Wheat and Carafa so it will be less astringent but def will be chocolatey/smooth coffee roast.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I will full mash them. The reason I ask is because it's the difference of needing to use lactic acid, or not. If I include the dark grains in place of the rest, I'll be right smack at 5.5 mash PH with no acid. Always nice when it works out like that.

I BIAB, and I find 90 minutes helps get just a tad bit more efficiency and relaxes my brew day some. I can make dry beer, but I can also make not-dry beer with this method. I've done it so much that it's very tried and true for me. My typical ales with US-05 will come out to 1.010 depending on mash temp, but that's average. My big beers typically fall around 1.016-1.022. This beer with the lactose and blackberry fruit will probably fall around 1.016. I can guarantee it. So yea, I think the "dry out" is a myth and isn't true for what I'm finding.

I'm using:

Calcium: 77
Mag: 22
Sodium: 24
Sulfate: 148
Chloride: 56

Any changes to the water?

Last edited:
Smells a little roasty. Maybe that’s normal. Kinda pissed. I’ll hope for a happy accident.

D3DB222D-0FD5-46F1-9255-E8E6ABCED5AC.jpeg

I haven't brewed a black IPA get, but I would expect it would be somewhat normal, then the hop additions help to curb that?

[...]
Your are going to get some roast, with 9% roasted grains. You're using Ch.Wheat and Carafa so it will be less astringent but def will be chocolatey/smooth coffee roast.

Indeed, that's double the roasted malts I use in my imperial chocolate stout, where I want the roast to be a supporting character, not the lead.
But it could turn out epic. I would definitely not shirk the blackberries and would use a pound per gallon so they get a chance to shine...

Cheers!

Worked out to 75% efficiency, right on the mark as mentioned w/ 5.4 gallons at 1.067.

Fermenting nicely in a 6.5G bucket. Pretty much full-on within 24 hours, probably about 14 hours or so. Keeping temps at around 64-66. US-05 isn't picky with temps.

Pitched 2 packets of US-05, dry. I've done the rehydrated thing before, many times, but I've since moved back to just over-pitching dry. Faster and the results are just as good. I do both though, just depends.

I'll plan to probably fruit it come Monday or Tuesday. I'll post pics if you guys are interested in that process. 5LB of Blackberries are awaiting!

Smell: Medium hints of chocolate. No dryhop smell.

Taste: Hints of chocolate on the nose, very smooth/silky body with hints of blackberry, and mild chocolate on the tongue appearing after a drink. Clearly there are hints of a decent IBU being present, but never overbearing nor to an "imperial" level.

What a perfect summer fruited porter/stout milkshake hybrid. If you didn't tell anyone there's blackberry in it, they would be confused about the body...wondering where the slight acidity fruit/hints is coming from.

The lactose addition ammount was perfect....it created a smooth body/finish without coming off sweet.

I'm very happy with this "mash-up" of a beer...even though I didn't want the chocolate, the chocolate added very interesting notes to just the right places. It did however "erase" the dry-hoping.

I kept thinking how awesome this beer would be as a co-sour (@RPh_Guy) though, but obviously without the IBUs.

324E1FF3-F53D-4AEB-BB1A-5E7D646CF5B9.jpeg

2DC8049B-DBF8-4D60-947F-DE66E61B7667.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back