Black and Grey QD's interchangeable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltraAK

Reaction score
probably a stupid question, but if in a pinch can you use a grey QD for liquid or a black for gas? thanks...

No, not interchangeable. You "can" jam them on. the posts have different size ridges.

I always keep extras on hand. extra eveythings...

thanks yeah I was just checking to see if in a pinch and didn't have an extra one - sounds like you need to keep as couples like shoes...thanks guys

probably a stupid question, but if in a pinch can you use a grey QD for liquid or a black for gas? thanks...

I agree with the others. The gas and liquid/beer posts on a keg are slightly different shape (and the gas post usually has some notches and/or a star shaped base). I guess in theory the different shaped posts would prevent a fast food worker (or us homebrewers) from hooking up the lines backward. The differences are subtle enough that you can usually force a disconnect onto the wrong post. I think the liquid disconnect onto the gas post is the one that tends to be REALLY hard to get back off (in the past I would hook the gas disconnect to the liquid post to blow CO2 into the bottom of a keg while filling).

As others have said, no. BUT in a pinch you can however move a GAS post from a keg not being used to the "SPOT" that the LIQUID would go on the keg you wish to use and YES you can then pour beer in a pinch.

Cheers
Jay

I can tell you from experience that it is very difficult to remove a liquid (black) quick disconnect from of a gas post if you accidentally force it on.

Yes...this. It is really bad when you use a little more force than you might normally thinking that maybe the o-ring could use some keg lube but you're just too damn lazy to do it. Then as you're getting ready to put the other post on...you realize that something isn't right. Dang It!!

Getting that bad boy off has now become a major PITA.

If you do happen to force one down onto the wrong post, remember to only twist clockwise when tryin to pry it back off or you may accidentally unscrew the post too far and create a whole new problem (not that I would know =c) ).

Latest posts

Back