BJCP Tasting Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticcolorado

Reaction score
I am going to be taking the BJCP Tasting exam this weekend. I am very excited and studying diligently. But because the gods have a cruel sense of humor, they have given me one hell of a cold. I am so congested that I can barely smell or taste.

Anyone have any suggestions on how i can clear my head before the exam?

That is terrible timing! I am registered to take that test in a year due to its popularity in my area... I can't imagine getting a cold right before taking it.

I normally just sit in a warm shower for a while and let steam do some work on congestion when I get a cold. Other than that I am not sure, everything else I can think of involves spicy food and mentholated rub which would have a negative impact on your senses.

Unfortunately, I don't have any input for you, but I was wondering how long you have been studying. I've just recently started thinking about going through the certification process and just saw that there is a tasting exam near me in November and wonder if it would be possible to be ready for the tasting exam by that time.

Unfortunately, I don't have any input for you, but I was wondering how long you have been studying. I've just recently started thinking about going through the certification process and just saw that there is a tasting exam near me in November and wonder if it would be possible to be ready for the tasting exam by that time.

I think you can be ready by November. I have only been studying for a month but I previously went through some BJCP study courses through my brew club.

Make sure you can get a slot for the exam. In my area it is a 2-year wait to get a seat. I got lucky as a bunch of people backed out last minute.

Rest, fluids, multivitamin and zinc supplements. Most important of those is sleep. Good luck man!

Be careful with the zinc! I've read about some cases where permanent loss of smell has occurred due to zinc supplements. That would most likely screw up your exam.

Pepper spray.

But seriously, call your doctor and ask for a nasal steroid or take some Sudafed.

Decongestants will work although I would check the box before you drink any alcohol. For me, putting my face over hot steam (either in a shower or a pot of boiling soup) helps. Good luck. You definitely need to be able to taste or you won't score well. If it's a real problem contact the exam administrator and ask if he can pencil you in the next exam if he'd allow someone else on the waiting list to take your seat.

Latest posts

Back