BJCP Competition - Question about timelines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sancycling

Reaction score
Hey All,
I entered a BJCP competition that has two rounds. I'm happy I made it to the finals but I'm worried that my beer, an IPA, will not be fresh for the final round.
For the first round, beers had to me sent early May (two bottles). For the second round two more bottles of the same lot had to be sent to be evaluated early September.

My IPA was really fresh with lots of crisp hop flavour and aroma. I just opened a bottle (4.5 months old) and most of that freshness is gone. It tastes good and no major off flavours but hops have diminished significantly. Definetly past it's prime.

So is it common that other BJCP competitions hold beers for that long? I'm also concerned on how the bottles were stored since I subitted the bottles early June.

Its typical to rebrew the batch between rounds (for styles where fresher is better), such as the NHC competition, where first round and final round are months apart. They specifically state in the rules that it is acceptable to rebrew, which I would certainly have done if my IPA had made it past the first round. However if your competition doesn't allow it, then your IPA should be as lack luster as everyone else's... Good luck!

I'd say if you have a comp where judging rounds are 4 months apart and you are required to submit from the same batch, I'd either flat out not enter (because that's stupid), or at least enter something that will stand up to (or even benefit) from the extra age.

But as said above, unless someone's breaking the rules, everyone else should have the same problem. I wouldn't want to be judging the Weizens or the IPAs in the 2nd round, that's for sure.

Double check the rules, because like he said, usually you're allowed to rebrew for the second round. I'd be surprised if you weren't.

Thanks for the responses. What you guys say makes sense. Unfortunately it clearly states in the rules that the same lot/batch has to be submitted... But I'll ask for clarification for next time.

Today is the competition so I'll let you guys know.

Thanks!!!

So as expected my IPA did not fare well.
I asked a couple of the organizers if rebrew had been allowed but I could not get a clear answer.

The good news is that my Stout got a bronze medal and I'm stoked as I was not expecting it.

Thanks

Those are unreasonable rules. I would have rebrewed it anyway. So they are saying if you had anything with prominent hop character or anything wheat based, you were basically not allowed to win. BS.

Back