BJCP Category / Sub-category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
When filling out a BJCP Bottle ID form, it asks for both category and sub-category. I need clarification on this point. When I look at the BJCP guidelines I assume the whole numbers are the categories (like '14. Scottish Ale' or '15. Irish Beer') and the numbers with letters after them are the subcategories (like '14B. Scottish Heavy' and '15C. Irish Extra Stout'). So if I was filling out the form for a SHV I would put '30. Spice Beer' as the category and '30A. Spiced, Herb or Vegetable Beer' as the sub-category. Is that correct?

Sounds simple, but it depends on a key factor: Does the beer taste and/or smell like spice, herb or vegetable? Because if you declare it in that category, the judges are going to be expecting those things. So it doesn't matter what you put in the beer, what matters is what it tastes like now.

yeah, I got the part about classifying it as it tastes, not necessarily as what was intended. I'm looking more for info on how the categories/subcategories work once I do know how it will be classified.

yeah, I got the part about classifying it as it tastes, not necessarily as what was intended. I'm looking more for info on how the categories/subcategories work once I do know how it will be classified.
Yes. let say I’m entering a Munich Helles. My category would be 4 - Pale European Lager and sub category would be 4A - Munich Helles

Yes.

In a standard example, if you were to enter a Helles Bock, category is 4. Pale Malty European Lager, and subcategory is 4C Helles Bock.

This applies to your SHV as well, with the addition of the special requirements you need to supply for specialty styles. Say you're entering a Helles Bock with jalapenos, you'd enter in 30A SHV. Then when it asks for the specialty information/special ingredients you'd say it was a 4C Helles Bock with jalapenos.

(though, common point of confusion, you don't need to declare a specific subcategory for specialty base style, it can be broad, you could just say Porter, instead of English Porter or American Porter. Some judges might try to tell you otherwise but they are wrong.)

Back