BJCP Category question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekeane

Reaction score
I brewed an Imperial Lager using about 3# of Honey with the plan on entering it in Alternative Fermentables. However, the beer has so much honey character that it seems quite sweet even though it's at .010.

On a whim I steeped a bag of hibiscus and blueberry tea in a pint and it cut the sweetness and provided a pleasant tannic / fruitiness to the beer.

The Honey character is still quite present but mixed with the tea herbals so where should the beer be placed categorically?

Sounds like a specialty braggot, and probably a very tasty one at that. BJCP Category M4C Experimental Mead.

Bet you never saw that one coming. But yes, I'm serious.

Lol a guy in my club asked me if I had considered baggots after I posted this. And no I didn't see it coming having only recently made my first mead, a melomel that I still haven't tried.

I get more honey and tea character with the base beer being present but in the backround so this may very well be a spot for it. Thanks!

Back