Bittersweet first day back in to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHefty

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well today was supposed to be an exciting day back in to brewing after a 2 year break. Had everything worked out, grains milled, carboy's sanitized, etc. The plan was to start at noon with many interested friends coming to watch and learn.

I got a phone call... 5 of them to be exact, all from my brother and my mom. I knew right then that this was not going to be good. Called my brother back, and yep, not good. My dad passed away over night and was found by my step mom this morning. He wasn't a drinker and we had our differences but I still loved him and didn't spend the time with him that people always say they wish would have happened. So I grabbed the kids and headed to his house. We needed to say our final goodbyes since his wishes was no funeral and direct cremation. It didn't last long and there really wasn't much to do anymore so I called up my friends and told them the brew day was back on. It was certainly better to spend the time with friends and keep my mind off the rest of the day. So, I brewed... I hit every temp, every SG, every boil amount, etc. It seemed as if the whole session went perfectly and I can't help but think my dad was looking down and helping things go so smoothly. Thanks dad, I love you and I'm going to miss you.

sorry to hear of your father's passing; keeping busy with family and friends is the best way to get through something like that.

Latest posts

Back