bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewflicker

Reaction score
First batch, american lager from grain, aged two weeks.. very bitter. Will ageing longer reduce bitterness??

Short answer- a lengthy lagering process will cut the bitterness if it's from too many hops.
A little more info- what OG and FG? What hops did you add and when? What calculated IBUs?
By the way- welcome to the forum!

Short answer- a lengthy lagering process will cut the bitterness if it's from too many hops.
A little more info- what OG and FG? What hops did you add and when? What calculated IBUs?
By the way- welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the answer. I brewed it from a kit and failed to crush the grains before boiling the wort.

Thanks for the answer. I brewed it from a kit and failed to crush the grains before boiling the wort.

Was this an extract kit? If so those specialty malts are ready to place in the bag and steep. Like JimRausch asked what was your brew process .

Was this an extract kit? If so those specialty malts are ready to place in the bag and steep. Like JimRausch asked what was your brew process .
Brew process was as directed. 15 minute grain bag steep at 155 degrees. Remove grain bag. Stir in malt and slow boil for 60 minutes.. Ice bath down to 75- degrees. Add yeast, shake, add blow off assy. and let ferment for 2 weeks.

Welcome to the forums, and sorry for the questions you are about to get hit with from everyone. And congrats on the first brew.
1 quick note before I ask a few questions of my own: As much as some folks will look down with disdain at BMC and their products, the style of American Lager is a difficult one to execute because there shouldn't be much taste to cover up imperfections. Off flavors from process errors or even water chemistry will jump out more noticeably.

Did you to control the fermentation temps, what yeast was used, and what was your water source?

I would not expect an extract kit to come out overly bitter if the hop schedule was followed correctly. Hopefully we can all figure it out together and get you going on to your second batch.

To be clear, this was not an extract kit as I think you indicate. It had a grain bag and an packet of malt.

I just looked up the kit you described and it is an extract kit w/ steeping grains... The source of sugar in the wort is from the DME as opposed to an all grain mash. The steeping grains just add a little color and flavor. They are supplied with many extract kits.
What kind of water did you use? Chlorinated tap water not treated with a campden tablet might be the culprit.

Last edited:
I just looked up the kit you described and it is an extract kit w/ steeping grains... The source of sugar in the wort is from the DME as opposed to an all grain mash. The steeping grains just add a little color and flavor. They are supplied with many extract kits.
What kind of water did you use? Chlorinated tap water not treated with a campden tablet might be the culprit.
That's what I used. Good ole tap water... mistake huh?

That's what I used. Good ole tap water... mistake huh?

Nah... teachable moment.
Crush 1/4-1/2 tablet into your water as it heats up on your next attempt and proceed as usual. If you can’t do a full volume boil, you’ll have to treat your top up water too. Bottled or RO water is another option.

Back