Bittering to aroma balance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildKnight

Reaction score
It seems pretty easy to calculate total IBU's as well as malt to hop balance. But how do you calculate the appropriate ratio of bittering to flavor to aroma hop usage (for a specific style)?

For example, if I am targeting 70 IBU in an IPA, how to I decide on how much to use on the long boil vs short boil? Do I use 2 oz for 90 minutes, or 1 oz for 60, 3 oz for 10, 3 oz for 5 ( the permutations are endless)?

How do I make sure I have enough long boil hops to balance the malt, and have enough late hops for significant hop flavor and aroma?

Do you target a specific ratio of gravity to bittering IBU (balance), and then add late hops to suit ur particular tastes?

What I've been doing lately is only hops for bittering (90 or 60 minutes) and hops after 20 minutes. I get the majority of my bitterness from the bittering hop, and then add the quantity of hops that I want in my later additions.

You can tweak all of your additions, but to me, the quantity of the later additions is more important than the quantity of the bittering addition. You're going to get IBUs regardless (well, not from dry hopping or flameout hops), but I think that the amount of aroma you get is really dependent on amount of hops that you add towards the end.

All this is really dependent on the style that you want. For an IPA that I made, I had 3 oz of just flameout hops.

Exactly, I add the amount of mid-late boil hops I want then add enough bittering hops to get the rest of the way to my target IBUs. Sometimes I have enough IBUs for hops near the end of the boil so I don't add a bittering addition.

Doing an APA in a couple weeks with the late boil hops of a DIPA, but just ~40 IBUs. Should be fun.

Back