Bittering Hops Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KW9375

Reaction score
I have an original IPA recipe that I'm going to modify and brew this weekend. I used Mosaic and Citra as my aroma and flavoring hops, and a little bit of mosaic as my bittering, but mostly....German Hallertau. I really had no reason of choosing that, and as I've learned and experimented more with hops, I've discovered it's not really the best bittering hops. So...I'm happy with the aroma and flavor, but I want to change my bittering hops. I really like dank IPAs - if it smells like cat pee, I usually love it! So I'm thinking I may try Simcoe or Columbus (or both). What do you guys think about that? I'm just wanting to add some earthy, bitterness, and oh yeah...I'm aiming for a DIPA. Looking to target around 100 IBU, but also wanting to increase the ABV to around 8%. I suppose I'll just use the same extract I did before, but increase it (using BeerSmith2) until I hit my 8% ABV. What do you think?

Mosaic will do that too. It can be cat pee like if you used it for bittering. Check out the hop charts at Hop Union if you'd like to experiment.

columbus is much mroe geard towards dank than simcoe IME

but, with bittering hops, you arent going to taste it anyway. Its more about its oil composition, stuff like cohumelone. If you want any of that flavor, youll have to add some late in the boil or in a hopstand. If you dont like the bittering potential of mosaic or whatever, try using a "clean" bittering hop like apollo of magnum

Back