Bittering hop somewhere between Magnum and Chinook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
I'm still playing with a recipe that I haven't quite worked out yet. So far I've tried both hops mentioned in the title and find myself wanting something between the two as far as bitterness goes. The magnum was very mild and even over 50IBU it didn't really neutralize sweetness like I'd hoped. I tried using Chinook for that very reason and now I'm on the opposite side of things. Too bitter and leaves a papery dry finish.

I've used Green Bullet to bitter and had some nice results. Paired with fruity hops I didn't find the bitterness intrusive or harsh like I do with Chinook in this beer. It was a bit abrasive but more like a 200 grit rather than Chinook's 80 grit.

Any other ideas? What about Warrior? I'd rather not do Columbus because of the earthy/funky thing it does. Plus I'm not sure if it's so dissimilar than Chinook.

It's a thought but I'm using 6-7 ounces of late hops. Don't really want to buy more than I have to.

Have you considered Nugget? More classy tasting than Chinook but with more character than Magnum. Alternatively you can blend a few different bittering hops to get the result you want.

I have also found a lack of bitterness with magnum. Perhaps it's my quantities. I haven tried chinook yet.

I love warrior for bittering my IPAs. It's got a really nice "bite" but isn't harsh like chinook can be. It's clean like magnum, but much higher AAUs and nice and firmly bitter.

This is an "Imperial Amber". Need something that won't displace caramel malt and fruity hop flavors but still stand up to 1.070 OG.

I love warrior for bittering my IPAs. It's got a really nice "bite" but isn't harsh like chinook can be. It's clean like magnum, but much higher AAUs and nice and firmly bitter.

One of the local breweries here uses warrior hops as their preferred bittering hop in most of their selections. I've also used it in an IPA with great results. Northern Brewer is a very good American bittering hop with great flavor also.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I bought 5 or 6oz of warrior with my last mail order, and I really like it. I've made 3 IPAs with it now and have been very pleased. Very clean bittering, so its become my "go to" 60 minute addition. I've also used columbus for bittering, which I loved as well.

Just for info. Northern Brewer is originally an English hop. American Northern Brewer is a cross of Northern Brewer. To add to the confusion the original Northern Brewer is barely grown in Britain but in Germany (like Brewer's Gold!).

Back