Bittering Hop for Citra APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
LHBS had a Fourth of July sale last week. Haven't used Citra yet, so I swung by and picked up four ounces for a pale ale. I didn't have a chance to work up a recipe prior to buying the Citra, so I didn't select a bittering hop for the batch. Seems like there are a number of threads extolling the pros and cons of using Citra for bittering (doing a single hop batch would be cool, but I'd rather have something that I know will have a better chance of being well received by my tongue!). This will be my fifth batch; I have used Nugget, Sorachi Ace, and Centennial for bittering in previous brews with great success.

I would love to receive some feedback and qualitative thoughts on other hops to pair with Citra. What do you like? What have you used successfully? What are some pitfalls of other commonly used varieties?

Magnum? Warrior? CTZ? Chinook? Galena? Simcoe? Bite the bullet and bitter with Citra? Other?

Thanks!

I hate Citra as a bittering and love it for late additions and dry hopping. I like to bitter with Horizon for American Pale and Amber Ales. Its really clean and won't interfere with the Citra qualities. Other bittering hops I like are Warrior and Magnum.

Warrior and magnum are good for bittering without interfering with the flavor and aroma additions.

Yeah - if you want something clean, all of the above are good options and I would agree with Magnum.

Another option - I made the Double SUnshine clone a few weeks ago and bittered that with Columbus and then all citra late after that. It was awesome... So, that might be an option as well.

You can fwh with citra and forgo some of the harshness associated with citra as a bittering hop if you want to go 100% citra. I have a 100% citra (8oz total) Belgian IIPA that has received great reviews at homebrew club. Went through the 6 pack I brought to share/taste pretty quickly.

Yeah - if you want something clean, all of the above are good options and I would agree with Magnum.

Another option - I made the Double SUnshine clone a few weeks ago and bittered that with Columbus and then all citra late after that. It was awesome... So, that might be an option as well.

Braufessor - do you have a link to that recipe?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Looks like I will be picking up some Magnum at the LHBS! Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back