Bittering/aroma hop combinations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any charts or reference guides available which show which hop combinations works well together for various beer styles and perhaps just as importantly, which do NOT work well together?

I'm planning on brewing up some sort of a pale ale to use up some ingredients I have laying around. I thought I had several ounces of Cascade and would just use that, but turns out I only have at most 1/2 oz left over from another batch.

I've done mostly kits and don't have a lot of experience going my own.. so this will be somewhat of an experiment I guess.

A quick inventory check show I have some Simcoe, Kent Goldings, Willamette, Glacier, Saaz & German Tradition.

The recipe itself will be simple:
6-7# light DME
1# pale ale specialty grains
hops -- see below
Nottingham or US-05 dry yeast

For the hops I was thinking something like this:
1oz Simcoe or Glacier - 60min
1oz Willamette - 30 min
.5oz Willamette + .5 oz Cascade - 1 min

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

http://***********/resources/hops - lists hops generally used in each style, substitutions, and flavor profile

no problem. btw, bittering combos won't make a difference really since theres no flavor or aroma left. For aroma I tend to pair similar profiles, i.e. citrus w/ citrus, piney w/ piney.

When I select the American Amber/Pale Ale, it give a pretty wide selection of choices including the ones I have. So, for my choice of bittering hops, AA is maybe my primary consideration?
As far as aroma hop, since Willamette is listed as a substitution for Glacier, I could expect that the Glacier/Willamette combo would be ok?

and it seems the Cascade (the little bit I have left) would probably fit in there too...
The site doesn't give a lot of info about the Simcoe -- so I don't really know where that would fit in... But since it has a higher AA, I guess I could use that instead of the Glacier for more bitterness and still be ok right?

So, I guess the guideline is to choose from the list an appropriate bittering hop based on desired IBU, and then if multiple/flavor aroma hops are used, it is best to use types with a similar profile? Otherwise, there is no real tie between the bittering and aroma hops. Is this an accurate statement?

Another thing to possibly consider with bittering hops is the cohumulene level. AA's are made up of several acids, and cohumulene is generally regarded as a harsh bittering one. However, both glacier and simcoe have low levels so that won't make a difference. Considering that, I'd go with simcoe just because there's less to add.

Glacier/Williamette combo would definitely work. I've read here that williamette seems to enhance cascade so feel free to combine all 3.

As for simcoe's fit, I've heard accounts of it being citrusy and those of it being piney so I'm not sure where it fits either. You can check out this sticky for more info to help choose hops, as well as malts and yeast: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ingredient-guides-redux-107308/

thanks again for the info. I think I will go the Simcoe route (along with the Willamette & Cascade) this time around.
I hope to be brewing more pale ales in the coming months as I need to build up my supply for summer. So, any other feedback is welcome also as I would like to try other variations also in the future batches.

Back