Bitter flavor from spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordofBeers

Reaction score
So I just bottled a spiced winter ale and noticed a bitter flavor (and not a good hops bitter) but a bitter maybe from the spices. I used fresh ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

I'm wondering if this will mellow in the bottle? The beer tastes great but has that bitter ending I'd rather not have. Suggestions?

Anyone? I was reading that the time in the bottle along with carbonation will mellow this bitterness out. Any experience?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I had some of that going with a Pumpkin Ale I brewed. It was bottled in late October and is getting more mellow the longer it sits in the bottles.

I would guess it will get better with age.

I had the exact same thing with a winter ale I did. Had a batch timed to be done for Xmas, but it was as you described. Now, into January, I can taste the spices mellowing. Might have to brew this next August or September to have a fine beer for the holidays.

Back