Bits of grain floating in first BIAB brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntDoctor

Reaction score
Quick question: I just started my first BIAB, and I've noticed that there are tons of slivers of (what I imagine must be) grain floating around. The nylon bag I used for the BIAB didn't have the **tightest** mesh, but it still seems weird. Is this normal? Will they sink or is there something else I need to do to get rid of them? It's been about a week now.
Currently, they add a really grainy texture that isn't good...
Please help!

IMG_20201119_225858328.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201119_225934270.jpg
    IMG_20201119_225934270.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
If it floats, it should sink. If it sinks, it will be left behind when you rack. If it stays floating it should either cling to the side when racking, sink when it gets cold (if kegging), or will be the last bit and can be left behind when transferring to bottling bucket.

If you're digging the BIAB method I would recommend a better bag. There's a vendor on here that has amazing bags that won't break the bank.

If it floats, it should sink. If it sinks, it will be left behind when you rack. If it stays floating it should either cling to the side when racking, sink when it gets cold (if kegging), or will be the last bit and can be left behind when transferring to bottling bucket.

Ugh, this is good advice. Unfortunately this time I was going for a ferment-and-serve all in a single keg. I have a floating dip tube, so I may have to just wait cold crash it out? The photo is from a super-mini amount I set aside and brewed with a different yeast.

Will using fining agents like sparkelloid or gelatin also help the big grain bits settle?

Latest posts

Back