Bit worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moruglah

Reaction score
I put hops 10g in the Thirsty devil this morning (day4).
Gone online to look for a bottling bucket or auto siphon. But all either out stock or days and days to arrive.
Just worried about leaving the brew in the primary with hops in for to long.

Id say you're good for 14 days. If you have the cold storage you can always start to cold crash for a few days to buy you some extra time.
You have a brew shop around you or anything like that? I got one from Amazon not too long ago but it did take about week or so to get.

No brew shop around also Amazon can’t find our house as we live in the countryside.
Our out house is in heated and around 7-10c at the moment.

Our nearest Wilko have this in.

Attachments

• 42BC197D-6038-4893-BA06-6CD57908D7A2.png
    42BC197D-6038-4893-BA06-6CD57908D7A2.png
    564.6 KB · Views: 13
No brew shop around also Amazon can’t find our house as we live in the countryside.
Our out house is in heated and around 7-10c at the moment.
It may be helpful putting your general location (country will do) in your User Profile here.

How big is that batch? 10g of dry hops doesn't sound like much.

Our nearest Wilko have this in.
Something like that would work, looks like a fermenter with a spigot.

You don't need an auto siphon per se. A racking cane is more universal and probably lasts longer.
In lieu of an auto siphon or racking cane, just use a few feet of racking hose, one end in your fermenter. Keep it above the trub line.

Clip your cane or hose to the side of the fermenter, or get an extra hand to help. To prime the cane or hose, you could suck on the hose to start a siphon, plug it up, resanitize the "dirty" end or use a removable "mouthpiece" to suck on.

You can also start the siphon action by filling the hose with sanitizer (submerge it), plug up the output end. Stick the other end in your fermenter.

Do you have a "bottling wand?" You can attach that to your "pre-primed" racking hose, circumventing the bottling bucket. You need to prime (sugar) every bottle though.
Always train yourself with new procedures using a bucket of water before applying it to beer. Practice makes perfect, while working out the kinks.

It may be helpful putting your general location (country will do) in your User Profile here.

How big is that batch? 10g of dry hops doesn't sound like much.

Something like that would work, looks like a fermenter with a spigot.

You don't need an auto siphon per se. A racking cane is more universal and probably lasts longer.
In lieu of an auto siphon or racking cane, just use a few feet of racking hose, one end in your fermenter. Keep it above the trub line.

Clip your cane or hose to the side of the fermenter, or get an extra hand to help. To prime the cane or hose, you could suck on the hose to start a siphon, plug it up, resanitize the "dirty" end or use a removable "mouthpiece" to suck on.

You can also start the siphon action by filling the hose with sanitizer (submerge it), plug up the output end. Stick the other end in your fermenter.

Do you have a "bottling wand?" You can attach that to your "pre-primed" racking hose, circumventing the bottling bucket. You need to prime (sugar) every bottle though.
Always train yourself with new procedures using a bucket of water before applying it to beer. Practice makes perfect, while working out the kinks.
My batch is 23L
I have a bottle wand coming but I do have the Wilko siphon kit.
Could I put a wand on the end?

My batch is 23L
I have a bottle wand coming but I do have the Wilko siphon kit.
Could I put a wand on the end?
Yes!
Just make sure you keep the wand below the beer level or you'll lose siphon, and you've got to do the pre-priming dance again.

That’s the carbonation tablets in the bottle?
No, sorry didn't mean to confuse you, the same word is used for 2 entirely different processes:
  1. priming a bottle - adding sugar to carbonate
  2. priming a siphon - filling a siphon tube
I meant the latter (2):
[...] or you'll lose siphon, and you've got to do the pre-priming dance again.
"priming a siphon tube" - filling it.

No, sorry didn't mean to confuse you, the same word is used for 2 entirely different processes:
  1. priming a bottle - adding sugar to carbonate
  2. priming a siphon - filling a siphon tube
I meant the latter (2):

"priming a siphon tube" - filling it.
Oh right. Thanks for your help

Back