Biscuity flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to get some help tracking down what the problem might be for my brews. I've done three batches with three different recipes, and while they all taste different, they all have the same after taste. They're coming out quite biscuity and sweet. I could definitely use some advice as to where to look in my process to track down the cause.

Cheers.

Can you post your recipes as well as OG and FG's, also maybe some about your process like fermentation temps, etc.

The only recipe I have on hand is the Cascade/2-row smash I did,
3 gallon batch
3kg 2-row
1oz cascade @ 60
.5 oz cascade @ 15
1tsp irish moss @ 15
1 Vial WLP001

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.014

I do BIAB on my stovetop and use a sous vide controller as my temperature probe. I've been aiming for a mash of 152 for 60 min, hitting between 149 and 153 after doughing in. 1-2 degree loss over the hour mash. After mash, dunk sparge at 170 for 10 min, and then boil for the hour.

I've been cooling in the sink with cold tap water around the pot, and then transfer everything to primary. I then primary for a week, and then transfer to secondary for an additionl 1-2 weeks until it's clear, then bottle with table sugar for priming.

I also did an ESB with the same process, The recipe was unmodified from Brewing Classic Styles, i hit an OG:1.058 FG:1.023.

::EDIT::
Left out fermentation temps. Not well controlled, however my house is pretty stable at 19C
::/EDIT::

Hopefully that helps you help me.

is it possible that your bag with grain in it was laying directly on top of the stove element? It may be that the grain at the bottom of the bag was cooking almost like a decoction which makes bisquity flavors.

As far as the sweetness I think that smash is underbittered for a 7% alcohol brew. I don't know the aa% of your hops and I didn't run the IBU but a single ounce of cascade is likely fairly low. The ESB looks like it just finished too high - so I would look at recipe, mash temp, yeast health etc. Any time you are having off flavor issues I would definitely recommend following and controlling fermentation temps (beer temp not ambient). Sometimes inappropriate fruitiness from high fermentation can come out as sweetness IME.

Edit: just saw that's a 3 gal batch, so maybe not under bittered. What was the calculated IBU?

sorry im not much help, i have very little knowledge of BIAB practices. But it makes ense to me that the bottom of the pot is hotter than the top by a little.

Back