Biofine Clear question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnysoj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey now!

I just bought some biofine clear from Northern Brewer. It comes in a small glass bottle with an eye dropper for dosing. I immediately noticed that the product itself has a sandy sludgy consistency, and is separated from the liquid, which I'm assuming is water. Northern brewer doesn't seem to have any detailed documentation, just the generic dosing recommendations.

My question is about dosing...

It calls for 1/4 to 2 tbsp per 5 gallons. Is that 1/4 tbsp of the sludge, or the sludge suspended in the water that comes in the bottle? I shook it up for a few minutes, but couldn't get all of it into solution, so I just did the best I could with it.

How should one use this product? Should I shake it all up, and take an eye dropper full of whatever I can get? sometimes the eyedropper clogs up with the solid portion of the product, sometimes I just get water.

also, can I replace the water in the bottle as it gets used?
Does it need to be refrigerated like regular biofine? I doubt it since its silicon based but can't hurt to ask.

thanks
John.

Mine is not separated and looks consistently clear throughout. I also bought at NB a month or two back, in the Minneapolis store. I've never seen it separate before, and that sounds weird. Does it clear up if you shake it hard and let it sit for a bit?

It'll go into solution briefly, similar to when you would put sand and water in a bucket at the beach, but it almost immediately settles again.

Did you buy biofine, or biofine clear? My understanding is that biofine clear is a silica colloidal, and biofine is made from fish bladders. Sounds like the fish bladder one would be more of a solution. but I dont know.

I'll email northern brewer and see what they say.

I have gotten biofine clear from morebeer and never had a cloudy substance in it. That sounds a bit weird and I would email them about that. I usually use about a tablespoon of the stuff in most of the beers I make. It works great, and works even better if you also cold crash your brew.

I just got off the phone with one of the guys from northern brewer, and when I described the condition, he said that the bottles must've froze while being shipped. He said it's no good, and he refunded my money.

Good to know: don't buy biofine clear in the winter!

Take care.

Latest posts

Back