Billions of lives lost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman_fs

Reaction score
I need some input. Drastically under pitched a German lager due to accident.

Everything was going well until I approached my fermenter at 60F with my Wyeast 2206 starter. I was giving it one last swirl before pitching and cracked it on the side of the carboy. I lost 90% of it? Who knows? I was able to pitch something but essentially an unknown and much less than planned amount.

Now what? I have left it in the kitchen overnight to stay a little warmer for a slight catch up on growth but I don't want to leave it out of my fermentation chamber too long and develop off flavours.

I could order a new smack pack but that won't make it for a couple of days. Since the starter I added was active I assume something will have happened by the time it would arrive. Can I just add new yeast then or should I just leave it up to the powers that be and see what happens. I could also "chill" it down and try and keep it all inactive while I grow another starter for a week?

Thoughts?

I think the only option you have is to pitch more yeast. You may have time to get the yeast and make a starter if you use a stir plate. If there is some fermentation activity when the new yeast arrives the wort may be safe from infection.

Do you have any ale yeast you could pitch? It would be better than nothing.

34/70 is in my hands from the lhbs. I'll pitch it tonight.

Guess drinking Heady Topper late at night while brewing deserves some extra care...

I just underpitched a lager Wednesday. Brewed Tuesday and cleaned out the basement fridge in the process. I had quite a few growler and mason jars with yeast. Some labeled and some not. In the process I think I dumped my lager yeast instead of a high gravity Belgian. Almost decided to step up a starter from a few pilsners i had but just made a run to the homebrew shop the following evening instead.

I still underpitched but it should be fine. Ive done it i the past and had good beer.

I have an update for anyone in a similar situation. I racked into a keg and was able to draw off a sample to test. Other than no carb its just fine. I would be proud to serve it to anyone. Maybe not a mind blowing malt experience but a very drinkable beer none the less.

1.056 to 1.013 thus far, going to continue lager for another couple weeks.

Good to hear. Mine's been lagering on the gas for probably a month now. I'll be a while till it gets tapped as my pilsner is still 90% full.

My goal is to have one lagered beer on tap at all times while the next cold conditions.

Back