big yeast starter question plz help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
brewing 3 batches today last one is an old school barley wine it calls for a big yeast starter not sure what that is. I only purchased one wyeast smack pack and made a starter. Will that work. I also have a spare wyeast smack pack. however it is a different strain. if i need more yeast could i use that if so i will make a starter now. or am i screwed. and last question do u put all the yeast in at once for a big starter , or add some and then add the rest the next day. thanks going go start 1st batch check in later thanks for any help. just a side note these r batches 8,9,10 all extract with specailty grains. 1st one is northern brewer no.8, next is northern brewer tounge splitter, and last will is nortthen brewwer no.1 old school barley wine

The yeast pitch rate calculator on www.mrmalty.com can help with figuring out the size of the starter. I use it every brew. It will also give you an idea of how many packs/vials to use if not using a starter.

Yeah, if it's high OG, you'll likely need a huge starter. It's likely too late for that if your brewing today. I like to give my starters 36 hours to completely ferment out anf for the yeast to rebuild energy stores, and then crash cool it for another 24 so I can easily decant it. At this rate you're better off pitching a couple a couple if dry yeast packs.

Latest posts

Back