Big Thai Flavors Brew, like Tom Kha Gai

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed the following 1.75 gallon batch
1.5# pilsner
1.5# torrified wheat
2% acid malt

109F ferulic acid rest
122F protein rest
148 sacc. rest
165 mashout

6 grams EKG @ 68 minutes for 17 ibu

And for the FUN part!
With 8 minutes left in the boil I added the zest of 2 limes, 2 tablespoons chopped ginger, 1/2 cup cilantro, and 1.5 tablespoons pureed lemongrass into a hop bag putting it in the boil. In addition to this I added 1 generous dash of cayenne pepper, .5 tsp of fish sauce and .5 tsp of red Thai chili paste (smaller amounts because I am afraid of the garlic/herbal flavors in the chili paste dominating and was scared of the saltiness of the fish sauce).

At flameout I left the hop bag ingredients to steep for 12 minutes stirring every few minutes.

WLP 530

1.048 O.G.

The aroma and flavor were dead on what I was hoping for. Yes I went BIG with the Thai flavors trying to emulate Tom Kha Gai sans coconut(I forget the name of the soup when it's made the same way but without the coconut milk). At worst I've spent a long time to learn a valuable brewing lesson and make a bomber braising liquid!

I'm making a belgian wit tomorrow and if the Thai beer, conceptualized originally as a 'White Thai', doesn't work out I plan to blend for an appropriate balance.

Sounds good. I hope it turns out. I'm not quite ready to branch out that far yet. You could be my new Hero!

Anyone that says I could be their hero gets an automatic thumbs up! :fro:

Then again if it's overpowering and undrinkable I could be a ZERO!

Anyone that says I could be their hero gets an automatic thumbs up! :fro:

Then again if it's overpowering and undrinkable I could be a ZERO!

No way dude. That you have the guts to put time into a project that you have no idea how it will turn out is pretty awesome. I'm interested to know how you do with that. :mug:

Yes, Thom Yam (or Yum) or Thom Yam Gai if it had chicken (gai=chicken).

This sounds interesting! Keep us posted.

Tasting update. It's strong as was to be expected. Overall pretty good/fairly promising initial tasting. Below are my tasting notes from the first sample pulled and a link to the recipe page at brewtoad.

Tasting Notes: April 2, 2015 at 73 degrees. Aroma is very herbaceous, immediately reminds me of Thai food. Surprisingly the chili paste is mildly apparent. Aroma hits me as an herbal soap also, which was off putting at first but grew on me with time. Lime is apparent but not 'zesty' by any stretch. The ginger comes through as more of a ground ginger, that is to say less sharp than fresh ginger. I like the ginger bite and would like to experiment with 'dry-hopping' on ginger to induce some of that but certainly not with this version. Mildly spicy from both the cayenne and the yeast, nice. The cilantro is not readily apparent but I'm guessing much of the herbaceous character stems from it. For such a leap of faith I couldn't ask for much more than I have at this point which is a very drinkable very unique thai influenced beer. Carbonation should really tell the tell. Should be very nice served with a lime wedge and muddled cilantro or just a few leaves for aroma.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/white-thai-witbier

Finally bottled this after almost 2 months pseudo-lagering (left in fridge at 36 degrees).

The 'herbal soap' aroma is still prominent. The strongest flavor is the ginger which is pretty nice. Lime, herbal more coriander than cilantro, and other complex previously mentioned input. The spice/pepper has fallen down, the citrus is apparent. Not sure how it'll be as a drinker, but carbed samples are strong and very complex.

I know 2 things. If doing it again I'll reduce the ginger by a 1/4-1/3 and add citrus. Dry hopping would be nice.
2nd, this is going to make the best beer braised chicken on earth!!!

Give it a try, it won't be a sipper, cut everything in half if you want a sipper, maybe add coconut, cracked black pepper would be nice.

This sounds like it would be a blast to serve with asian food during a dinner party just to mess with people a little bit.

The lemon grass I would bet is the culprit for the herbal/soap description you are picking up. I've had some bad experiences accidentally biting into a chunk of lemon grass thinking it was celery and my mouth tasted like soap for the rest of the day.

Latest posts

Back