Big Mouth Bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Experience with the plastic 6.5 gallon Big Mouth Bubbler

• Never used it.

• Used it with no problems.

• Used it, had issues.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Hey my name is JT I've been brewing for about 2 months.
I joined this site so I could post about the plastic Big Mouth Bubbler Fementor 6.5 gallon that I bought online from Northern Brewers. It worked great for a month. Then in my most recent fermentation it sprung a leak and caused half a gallon to drip onto the floor overnight. I know this is less of an introduction than a product review, if anyone know how to move the thread to another topic, please feel free to put it into the equipment review section. I just e-mailed Northern Brewer Canada today to see if they would be willing to replace it. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any idea why it happened to me this time but not during my last two fermementations in it? Thanks alot and I'm excited about being a new member of your brewing community.
Completed Brews:
1gallon Orange Juice Mead
1gallon PineappleMelomel
5gallon Mint Metheglin w/Orange infusion
Current brews
5gallon Banana Wine 1/week
5gallon Raisin Sugar Wine 1/day
1gallon Chestnut Brown ale/golding hops 5/days
:tank:

I reached out to northern brewers Canada and they refunded my purchase for the big mouth bubbler. I may order a glass one from them. Does anyone recommend a different vessel for primary mead fermentation?

Hi JT. As you requested, I moved this to the Equipment subforum. FYI, there is also a Company Review subforum, too, and you can read through the reviews of specific companies and some of their products there, too. Let us know the response you get from NB.

Welcome to HBT!

Check ontariobeerkegs.com they have lots of options, great service and cheap shipping in Ontario.

My problem with the big mouth is the new lid. If it's wet when you put it on it won't stay. I have to clamp mine on every time I use it. NB wrote to me after my rather scathing review to say that I should let it dry before using it but in my mind I want it wet with starsan when I apply it. So I use two photography clamps on each side of the lid.

I only use it when I want two batches going and my chronical is full. I'll probably just buy another chronical one of these days. Love those things.

I haven't had an issue with my 5 gallon plastic BMB. The lid is a bit loose, even if I crank it down tight.

I only use it as a primary for smaller batches. My main fermentor is a Chapman SS bucket. The BMB is ok for what it is, but I eventually decided to invest in a more sturdy and easier to clean/sterilize fermentor.

I haven't had an issue with my 5 gallon plastic BMB. The lid is a bit loose, even if I crank it down tight.

I only use it as a primary for smaller batches. My main fermentor is a Chapman SS bucket. The BMB is ok for what it is, but I eventually decided to invest in a more sturdy and easier to clean/sterilize fermentor.

That Chapman looks nice.

After hearing all of the lid issues for the Big Mouth Bubbler, I went with a 7 gallon Fermonster, and had a bottom valve put into it by my LHBS. 3 batches with it so far, and no issues. I voted that I've never tried the Big Mouth Bubbler.

Sorry n00b here. Whats a LHBS. How is your Fermonster treating ya? What do you brew in it? What was the price tag on it if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry n00b here. Whats a LHBS. How is your Fermonster treating ya? What do you brew in it? What was the price tag on it if you don't mind me asking?

Local Home Brew Store (or Supply).

I like the Fermonster so far, but one concern is that it is nigh on paper thin. So far I've brewed a Vienna Lager, a West Coast IPA, and a Bohemian Pilsner in it. NEIPA on deck. Belgian Dubbel in the dream stage (along with about a dozen others).

About $34-35 as I recall, including the installed valve.

My problem with the big mouth is the new lid. If it's wet when you put it on it won't stay. I have to clamp mine on every time I use it. NB wrote to me after my rather scathing review to say that I should let it dry before using it but in my mind I want it wet with starsan when I apply it. So I use two photography clamps on each side of the lid.

I only use it when I want two batches going and my chronical is full. I'll probably just buy another chronical one of these days. Love those things.

Try turning the gasket upside down. It's harder to get on, but it stays.

Back