Big Mouth Bubber / Lid Stinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torontosudz

Reaction score
Doing a primary in a big mouth 6.5 gallon for the first time and some of the krausen is leaking out of the side. We noticed when we got it that the lid was wonky and didn't screw on that well/easily but thought we had it right when we put it away to ferment.

So if krausen is leaking out the side obviously it's not 'air tight' but at the same time I'm wondering how much oxygen is going to get in this way. The idea of removing the lid and trying to re-screw it, hoping I get a better seal seems like a better way to get oyxgen in there than just leaving it and letting the krausen that's in the leaky part keep air out.

Should I just leave it?

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the quality of this thing. The opening is noticeable lopsided, the threads don't take the lid that well, getting a regular airlock in was tough because the size of the hole is a bit odd, and the newfangled airlock design seems silly. But it will be easier to clean!

Leave it. The CO2 is pushing that krausen out and won't let air in!

We had a leaky bung plug on one of the Thermowells - mattered not one bit. The thing still blew off and fermented perfectly.

I wouldn't mess with it!

I'd return it if you can. But don't worry about it for now, there will be a bed of CO2 on top of the beer that will keep air away. You only need to worry about air/oxidation if you move the beer after primary fermentation because you are moving the beer away from the protection of the CO2 layer.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought - the best action is to chill the eff out and leave it be! I will most likely try to exchange or return this... kind of a shame.

I sent an email to, was it Northern Brewer(?), regarding the lid fit and also the odd and small sized hole for bubbler. If the lid could be made to fit air tight atop the threads and the hole made to a more 'normal' size, well, you'd have a very nice fermenter IMHO. The plastic BigMouth, anyone using one of those?

The plastic BigMouth, anyone using one of those?

I ordered one a few weeks ago and I like it. The lid fits well but it's not quite as air tight as a Better Bottle or a glass carboy. I probably wouldn't recommend aging a lambic in it for a couple years, but it seals up good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to use it for anything else.

My lid fit alright after a couple try's. My problem with the big mouth bubbler is the uneven bottom and the few bubbles in the glass. Not sure if i should even bother Northern Brewer about this or what.

Latest posts

Back