Big Daddy Immersion Chiller (50' x 5/8")

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you had to change your screen in your kettle? I guess when whirlpooling your trub is in the middle. Isn't this where your "hopstopper" would be? Just wonder how you get around all the cold break in order to drain the kettle. I really like the idea of leaving the break in the kettle.

The hop screen has been removed and now I have the pickup tube short and off center so the chiller sits right on the bottom. I'm purposely leaving about 1/2 quart of wort/trub in the center depression. If I really wanted a tight whirlpool and clean wort, I'd remove the chiller and hop bags and continue the pumping for about 5 minutes, then cut it off and let it settle for 15 minutes.

Are the "upright" sections of tubing from the original roll, or did you use any pieces that were already straight?

The uprights are rigid copper. I picked up a 5' section at Lowes. They very well could have been cut off the roll though. I just wanted to start with perfectly straight pieces.

The uprights are rigid copper. I picked up a 5' section at Lowes. They very well could have been cut off the roll though. I just wanted to start with perfectly straight pieces.

cool, I did the same thing for the longer of my two uprights. Turns out Lowes and Home Depot are selling 50' of 1/2" for just $55, so I jumped on it. Then I talked to a friend of mine who works in building maintenance... he had a roll of it just laying around...mine for free. Can't beat that.

DSC_4139.jpg

It was just a little short of 50', so I got a 2' section of rigid from the store for the upright. I would have like a couple extra coils, but free is free. 10 Gal batches, just around the corner.

What are/were your cooling times with the chiller?

"With 67F tap water, it took about 15 minutes to get the wort to 71F. I'm fine with that." (post number 35-ish)

reddskinnfan: Is that about what you get with yours? Noticed your name on tastybrew with a similar build.

Back