Big Chewy Belgian Quad Recipe- Destined for Rum Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

So, I do love myself some belgians, and they are a style I am very familiar with brewing. However, I tend to naturally gravitate towards more BJCP guidelines when it comes to creating a belgian recipe (except for saisons, I like to get creative there).

Well, I have come into possession of a rum barrel that I just know in my heart of hearts, is destined to be filled with a belgian quad. But, most rum barrel beers I have had (minus imperial stouts) don't have the body or character to stand-up to, and blend with, the rum character/alcohol. Because of that, I want to make this quad especially full bodied, practically chewy (think a quad version of an imperial stout) but not cloying, which I know, is a fine line.

Looking to probably put it right at the 12%ABV range but wanting to finish with an FG >1.030, which I am finding to be surprisingly difficult given the natural high alcohol tolerance of belgian yeast. So, that being said, I have this recipe currently developed, and I wanted to get some thoughts on how to get the FG where I want it and allow it to carry that flavor forward to the rum barrel.

So, I give you, The Pirate Party- Rum-Barrel Spiced Quad v1.2.
Est. OG- 1.105
Est. FG- 1.026 (boo!)
Est ABV- 11.5%
SRM-18
IBU-35
Batch size: 6gal

16lb 08oz Pilsner
03lb 04oz Belgian Aromatic
02lb 00oz Vienna
01lb 00oz Caravienne
01lb 00oz Flaked Oats
00lb 08oz Special B
00lb 04oz Pale Chocolate (For a deeper red character and touch of chocolate/roast)

Mash in at 156. 120min boil. Measured at 70% efficiency.

0.75oz Simcoe FWH
1.0oz Saaz 15min

0.25oz black peppercorn 10min boil or Whirlpool
0.25oz Orange peel 10min boil or Whirlpool
1 star anise 10min boil or Whirlpool
2 cinnamon sticks 10min boil or Whirlpool

1 vanilla bean, soaked in rum added in secondary.

Rum-Barrel aging to taste (guessing 3-6wks).

To increase the FG and to give the quad something that will play well with the rum, I am thinking of using Potassium metabisulfite to kill the fermentation/yeast, and coming back with molasses post fermentation.

Looking to ferment with either
Wyeast Belgian Abbey
or
Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale (Because of it's tendency to stall in the 1.030-s.

Would love to hear some thoughts on how I could improve on this recipe and tweak it for decent balance so it's big but not cloying. Thanks again.

Back