Big amount of bubbles/oxygenation during first racking of cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sol_Om_On

Reaction score
Hi all! I just racked my fall's bounty cyser after just under two weeks, it had fermented almost dry and almost no oxygen/carbon dioxide bubbles where seen in the demijohn. During racking for some unknown reason a big amount of bubbling/oxygenation happened inside the racking cane and hose, and afterwards a pretty disturbing amount of bubbles where travelling to the surface of the cyser. Do you think this will affect the flavour of the finished product? Thanks! :)

Hi all! I just racked my fall's bounty cyser after just under two weeks, it had fermented almost dry and almost no oxygen/carbon dioxide bubbles where seen in the demijohn. During racking for some unknown reason a big amount of bubbling/oxygenation happened inside the racking cane and hose, and afterwards a pretty disturbing amount of bubbles where travelling to the surface of the cyser. Do you think this will affect the flavour of the finished product? Thanks! :)

It sounds like the racking allowed lots of dissolved c02 to come out of the mead- it sounds fine!

It sounds like the racking allowed lots of dissolved c02 to come out of the mead- it sounds fine!

I'm not so sure, the racking cane has done that type of gurgling sound accompanied by bubbles and air in the hose before. If it is air/oxygen, how much can it affect the taste of cyser do you think? Thanks for the help!

I say racking cane but I mean Auto-siphon. I've read about other brewers with the same problem, so my guess is that it is air.

I've had an autosiphon get leaky and suck in air while transferring to secondary and never had a problem. At that point in the process there's still some CO2 that needs to come out, so keep an airlock on it and minimize headspace and I'm gonna say you're fine.

Back