Biffed BOMM, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hahayepyep

Reaction score
I've made a few BOMMs with tremendous success, but I still managed to pooch my last batch due to careless error. I have a temp controlled fermentation space in my basement, BUT, I forgot to put this batch in there and left for a weekend trip!

This batch sat in my kitchen for the first few days with ambient temps about 75F, so I imagine ferment temps were easily pushing 80F and likely went over.

I proceeded as usual but it has an intense Belgian yeast character (dark fruit and some bubble gum) in both flavor and aroma as well as being a little fusely. It went dry in about 2 weeks, sat for another 2 weeks in primary and then I racked to secondary (purely to get it in glass since I figured there's be some aging to do). The jet fuel is already taming (and I fully expect that to age out in due time), but I'm not holding my breath on the esters going anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE these flavors in beer and if I'd gotten this in a Belgian ale I'd be giddy. Thing is, it just doesn't work for me in a mead. Without the malt backbone and hops, it's quite out-of-place.

I'm thinking of what to do with it now:

Boring option #1) bottle it, forget about it, and see what it does in a year, if it's still bad, cook with it.

Crazy-enough-to-work option #2) make a few gallons of Belgian ale wort, ferment with 1388, mix the two to taste? Some sort of backwards Belgian braggot?

Probably not a good idea #3) rack onto plums, peaches, or somesuch to balance/cover the esters?

Any other ideas?

Thanks! I could eat my weight in dandan noodles, so I'm no stranger to szechuan pepper. I was actually eyeing that recipe up a while back. I might just go that route.

I like option #2. I would be tempted to get the wort going, perhaps lighter on the malt ( as the mead has the sweetness? or did yours go completely dry?), and when you start to get krusen, start adding the mead a couple of pints at a time, giving 12 hrs or so between additions so you don't shock the hell out of the yeast.
Might suck, might be ok.

Why not add some honey to backsweeten it a little? You might stimulate whatever yeast is still in there. If so, they may help clean up some of the badness that's still in there.

The mead's dry, so my intuition was leaning toward going a bit heavy-handed with the specialty malts because it will be thinned out by the mead. If I go this route, I'm envisioning the finished product to be somewhat like a dark strong ale.

I'm pretty well lost with respect to beer:mead ratios, though. My thin air guess would be 2:1?

I also chilled half the taste sample I pulled yesterday and sampled that last night. I expected the chilling to subdue the alcohol heat (which it did nicely), but what I didn't expect was a tartness I can only describe as "sucking on a peach pit" came forward. The tartness was certainly not unpleasant and I wonder what bringing some sweetness into the mix would do.

Why not add some honey to backsweeten it a little? You might stimulate whatever yeast is still in there. If so, they may help clean up some of the badness that's still in there.

This also crossed my mind. I didn't cold crash this batch as I usually do, so there's a fair bit of yeast in there yet.

So, I thought I'd check back in on this. I ended up coarsely grinding a jar of those Bada Bing cherries in syrup and racking onto that. The ferment kicked back up for a while and eventually settled out very clear and a deep ruby red. Once it was clear I got it off the cherries and put it in the cellar. Due to the slight loss from the racking and cherries, I topped off with water. The mead was so strong at this point in both alcohol and flavor, that the watering down was actually welcomed. Then, I forgot all about it and there it sat until this week when I realized I was short a glass jug.

Anyhow, everything looked fine, so I just pulled a taste sample and it's simply divine! It's dry, smooth, fruity, unmistakably belgian, and pleasantly tart. The dark cherry grabbed right onto the stone-fruit esters and gave them the backbone that was lacking. Carbonation would be incredible in this and I wonder if the yeast is up to the challenge at this point. I'd hate to bottle and find they can't make it happen. I wonder if I should add something clean to make sure I get a solid carbonation. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to force carb and store this small volume.

I fully suspect that I may make this again, intentionally.

Well, I decided not to carbonate after all and instead added some of the untoasted american oak tincture I made up for one of my ciders. I bottled dry and still.

Just opened the first bottle of this and enjoyed it over the course of the last two nights and I couldn't be happier with the result! Even my wife (who hates belgian ales and has never been jazzed about any mead she's had) was pleased with it.

NfNFLuG

Back