Biermacht for Android

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to add that the large disparity in IBUs might be caused by my splitting the bill schedule of the fermentables as follows: 2lbs of DME for 60 mins and 4lbs for 20. Seems like Biermacht and BF compensate for late extract addition very differently.

Hi, I was just putting a recipe into Bie rmacht and noticed that Golden Promise isn't listed under the fermentables. For now I have just entered Pale 2-Row UK. Is that likely to have similar characteristics to the Golden Promise that I will be using in my brew?

Hi, I was just putting a recipe into Bie rmacht and noticed that Golden Promise isn't listed under the fermentables. For now I have just entered Pale 2-Row UK. Is that likely to have similar characteristics to the Golden Promise that I will be using in my brew?

You can enter in new ingredients using the "Ingredient Editor" with the exact parameters of the Golden Promise that you used.

All in all, the most important parameters will be the color and gravity contribution. AFAICT, the two types of malt look pretty similar in those regards.

e.g.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/rahr-2-row
http://www.northernbrewer.com/simpsons-golden-promise-barley

I have been using this app for a couple of months now and find it really easy to use.

One thing I wish it catered for better is no chill brewing.

This is where the wort is transferred to a a sanitised HDPE water tight container (referred to as a cube) straight from the kettle post boil and allowed to cool naturally. It can be stored like this for a long time ready for transfer to the fermenter.

This method saves a lot of water that would usually be used for chilling the hot wort.

It has its own complexities though in calculating IBUs as hops can be added to the cube which is a bit like whirlpool or flame out additions but with a longer contact time. Currently I have been entering cube additions as 20min boil additions.

It would be great if the software could cater for this method. It's very popular in Australia as water in precious here and no chill brewing creates great beer.

Unfortunately lion, IBU formulas are already pretty inaccurate due to not accounting for things like kettle geometry, boil pH, solubility limits, or variable non boil temp additions, or chill times. No chill falls under variable non boil temps and chill time. Add in the fact that all the current formulas were done with fresh whole hops and not pelletized hops adds further noise. The best we can hope for according to tinseth is 33% accuracy for a moderate IBU (30-60 or so). Above 60 and you're approaching the solubility limit.

An entirely new formula would need to be derived in order to do that, which is a graduate thesis level paper at least.

The current rule of thumb is to add x minutes to all your additions. So a flameout no chill addition is sort of like a x minute addition and a 15 minute addition is sort of like a 15 + xx minutes. Im not sure what exactly x is, but I think most people go with 15.

Thanks for the reply. I'm certainly not expecting the devs to write a thesis on no chill home brewing. :)

Couldn't the software cater for it by being able to select a brew method of chill/no chill and then have a configurable value for tha amount of time to add to hop additions, defaulted to 15mins?

I know I can do this manually to the same effect, and have been, but if the software could cater for it, even crudely, it would make sharing and creating recipes a little more straight forward.

Hey AnyThingForDogs, great app,:mug: but, I have a new phone and my backed up "all recipes".xml will not import without errors, from gdrive and sd card. I have screenshots, (7), if you want to pm them to you.

I was able to import my first backup, only two recipes. So I tried exporting one at a time then importing one at a time to my new phone, this works.

Thanks

Hey AnyThingForDogs, great app,:mug: but, I have a new phone and my backed up "all recipes".xml will not import without errors, from gdrive and sd card. I have screenshots, (7), if you want to pm them to you.

I was able to import my first backup, only two recipes. So I tried exporting one at a time then importing one at a time to my new phone, this works.

Thanks
Eureka, I figured this out while exporting/importing one recipe at a time!:yes:

One of my recipes had a emoticon at the end of the name, (two beer mugs, from my phones keyboard).
It threw the same errors as before.

I removed the emoticon, re-exported all my recipes to my Gdrive, and then successfully imported them all onto my new phone.
:ban:

Simply a case of user error...:p

Thanks for a great app.

Hi,

I use biermacht and it's a great app, thanks! I was wondering if there is any way to import profiles? I know you can import recipes which is great, but say if I want to make a beer that's a bit more specific than "Specialty beer" is there any way to import premade profies?

Thanks!

Back